1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin experts please, 1970 item

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkstorm, May 30, 2011.

1. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Browsing I came across this claimed 1970 carvin that kinda interests me. But headstock decal and pups make me hesitent to think its legitimate. As best I can tell from relooking at their catalogs from that yr and surrounding yrs (online), the pups seem wrong and the headstock decal is maybe too small. What do you think please? Legite or forgery or modded and refinished with refinisher useing a more recent carvin decal after stripping old finish maybe? I collected their catalogs back then but of course dont still got hard copies to research further about pup options etc.

Minty RARE Vintage 1970 CARVIN Double Neck GUITAR BASS - eBay (item 330568788248 end time Jun-05-11 18:25:38 PDT)

Thank you.

PS. Closest similiar to it stock carvin is from 1968. http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/68-basses.html
    But again pups arent same and decal looks bigger/diff somehow compared to the ebay item.

2. Have you tried contacting Carvin?
    They keep pretty good records.

I'm no expert, but I remember browsing through their catalogs back then. There were a few off the wall items IIRC.

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Cept wrong pups, bridge peices for bass side too far apart, decal in diff place, controls like the other doublenecks from the era also not the same nor right location.

I might email carvin, but I'm more thinking its either a fake or lotsa modds done. The lotsa mods done isnt a deal breaker to concider it. But I dont think you could get custom options like this one would have had from carvin back then.

4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Why would anyone fake one of those? They aren't really collectors items. Not well known. Usually they make counterfeits of popular instruments that have a high resale value. My guess is it is real.

5. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    +1

The thought of faking an instrument like this is hilarious. I think the number of fake Fenders popping up have made people unnecessarily gun shy about all brands.

6. +1
    That's my thinking as well.
    From my experience with Carvin (over the last5 years), they seem to substitute parts and components on their products, so maybe they used different pickups or bridges back then too.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Makes sense its not fake. Prob mods. Or unusual parts redo by carvin. Humm, gotta decide if wants to try and get it.

8. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    What's the scale of that bass? It looks to be about 25" or so...

9. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
  10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Thanks, thats prob it, nontrem version, just diff pups. Decided against persuing it though cause thinks would be real hassle to get strings of choice for the bass side. Short short scale. Did email carvin about it. But they havent answered back.