Carvin Factory Repair

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassCliff, Jul 25, 2013.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Have any of you ever sent your Carvin bass back to the factory for repair? Did you have them "set it up" too? How did it turn out?

I've had my LB76 for over 18 years and it's been my main axe. It's been steady as a rock as far as playability. For the last few years I've had a little trouble with the electronics. Nothing major; a couple of noisy pots, I had to re-solder the connections to the battery compartment, and once in a while it would go completely out but I just bounced the ICs in the sockets on the circuit boards and everything was good.

Last week I unseated/reseated the ICs again, to re-establish good connections in the sockets, but the output was only about half what it should be and the tone was lacking. So after all the gigs and all the miles I decided it was time to show it some love. I sent it back to the factory so the guys who built/designed it could work on it.

The electronics themselves are sold as a subassembly on the Carvin website for about $100, the 501B active/passive bass module. (See: http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/501B) I suppose I could have ordered the parts and replaced them myself but I decided to let the "pros" handle it.

I told them not to mess with the setup, just fix the electronics. I do most of my own setup, plus I have a guy locally whom I trust when I need luthier help.

All that to ask this:

Do you guys like the way Carvin sets up your basses at the factory?

Have you been satisfied with the repair work that the Carvin factory has done for you?

Thank you for your opinions. She's been my baby for a long time and I guess I'm just looking for a little peace of mind. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    It's been twenty years ago, but I helped a friend get a bass repaired that had a knot in the neck, and it caused warpage. When we took pictures and wrote a detailed letter about it, they had us send it in and the bass was completely rebuilt for him.

More recently, my MB12 crashed. I opted for the replacement rather than repair, and they made a really good deal on it. All I had to send in was the amp module, and I got to keep the speaker cab. So being a 3-way cab, I ordered a crossover to retrofit to make it into an extension cab, and they even gave me a deal on that!

Call Customer Service and have a nice discussion with them. They're great to work with.

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    My AC50F had a weird buzz / rattle at odd times. I sent it back in and they checked it out, couldn't find any issue, and at my instance they resurfaced the fretboard.

It still buzzed when I got it back........ Turned out is was a loose ferrule.

They didn't find it, but they did bend over backwards to try to make me happy.....

4. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Thanks guys. I appreciate your time. It sounds like they try hard to do their best. I guess that's all you can hope for.

BassCliff

5. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I spoke to the Carvin factory yesterday. They are shipping my bass back today and it will arrive at the Santa Ana store this afternoon. That's basically a one week turn around. I had feared they would replace the entire active module and charge a bunch of labor ($200?) . Instead, they replaced an op-amp (IC) and cleaned the pots good. That's all it needed. Only a $40 repair charge. I'm happy! :)

I'll pick it up on my way to my gig at The Ranch tomorrow. I can't get it today because we are playing a concert in the park in Westminster tonight. I'll let you know how it sounds later just to wrap this up.

The only thing they did not do that I asked was to replace the battery compartment. This bass is so old they no longer carry that part. But the tech gave me a website I could order the $10 part from. I can solder that in myself.

Break a leg!

BassCliff

6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I am in no way playing the harbinger of doom, but, bring a backup.

Since you wont have time to test it, you can't be sure that something didn't come loose during shipping.

Play it on the safe side, and have a great gig!

7. braud357

braud357

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    I bought a LB70 back in 1996. I came with the Wilkinson bridge, which was junk. When Carvin started using the Hipshot bridge, I inquired about retrofitting it to my bass. They said it could be done, so I sent it in. I also had them install the ferrules for stringing through the body. I also had them install a new output jack, a new nut, and check the set-up. It was gone about 25 days, and when I received it back, it was better than it was new. Good work, reasonable price, and a satisfied customer !

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yep. I had them do some work on my LB76 once too. They have always been great at customer service. My brother had a major issue with a guitar that was out of warranty. Carvin customer service bent over backwards to make him happy. They only charged him for parts. They ate shipping and labor. And they sent him a bunch of strings and a couple T shirts with the guitar (which was flawless upon return).

9. spz8

spz8

Jan 19, 2009
    Glen Cove, NY
    Wow, these great service stories make me want to get an SB5000 more than ever now!

10. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Indeed! For that gig I bring no less than three or four basses. ;)

Besides, they drive it on their own truck between the Santa Ana store and the factory in Escondido. No UPS, Fedex, or USPS involved. :)

basses_zps92874876.jpg

BassCliff

11. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

To bring this thread to it's logical conclusion, I picked up my LB76 from the Carvin Santa Ana store on the way to the gig last night. It performed flawlessly, everything worked great. They even polished it up for me. It was a great repair at a great price with a quick turnaround. I should be good to go for another 18 years or so. ;)

BassCliff

12. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    I always love happy endings :hyper:

13. I've never sent mine back for anything. My bass was shipped from Cali to W. Virginia, and I was VERY satisfied with the set-up. I didn't even have to tweak it. I received my bass on a Friday, took it outta the shipping box, and case, checked it out, and took it to the gig. Hell, if I recall correctly, I think it was even pretty much in tune, also!

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021