carvin fretless 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by etherbass, Sep 30, 2004.

1. etherbass

May 24, 2004
    hey guys im sure this question has come up before, but what do you all think about carvin basses? i have been looking at getting a five string fretless for a good price... carvin LOOKS hard to beat with the low prices.... what do you think?
  2. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    carvins are alright. i played a fretless 6er and it was ok. the only problem was that it was a lefty and im a righty. straight up Northpaw son.
  3. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Pretty good, I've always gotten real good "mwah" out of it, action is fairly low, B string is good. I'm not too into the narrow string spacing anymore, plus I want a bolt on. I'll probably sell it to finance a 5 string fretless pretty soon.

Look used, I got mine for under 500
  4. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I have five Carvin basses -
    1986 V440T
    1989.5 LB70
    2002 BB70WP
    2003 BB75P
    2003 B4F (Fretless)
    and a Bolt guitar.
    I had these before I started working at Carvin.

I have another bass, a BB75PF (Fretless 5), being built, as well as another guitar being built, a seven-string DC747.

We have a wide five neck that is standard on the BB75 and optional on the LB75 and XB75. The B5 bolt-on five-string only comes in the standard (narrow) string spacing.
  5. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I owned a Carvin fretless many years ago. It was a nice bass, but the sound was GREATLY improved by swapping the pickups and preamp for Bartolini electronics.
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I personally think their body styles are hideous, and I don't like their business model, I prefer supporting my local music store. But they are fine quality instruments. Dispraportionally low resale value.
  7. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    mgood, you have a PM.
  8. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Ironically, I think their fretwork is unbeatable.
  9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Where's the irony?
  10. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    The guy is looking for a fretless, get it?;)
  11. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I promote this idea. I would have done something similar to my LB76F, though the hassle and money involved in having to order custom made pickups (couldn't find any off-the-shelf replacement) made me give up and sell the bass instead. :rolleyes:

I thought the sound to be quite alright when played solo, but it was very "dry" & "modest" sounding compared to the typical "Jaco" tone, and disappeared completely in a band setting.
  12. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    I am still trying to find out which myth is more widespread, the one about the bad pickups or the low resale value.
  13. WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Just a few pro-Carvin thoughts...

Carvin pick-ups cut through the mix well. I have plenty of tone variation on my LB70, and the neck is like butter. You may not be supporting your local music dealer when you buy a Carvin, but you get a lot for the money as a result.
  14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I bought one.
    Well made, string spacing to narrow for me.
    Pickups were bad, to me Carvin's pickups fall way short of
    rest of bass.
    Sent mine back.
  15. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    I had a Carvin Fretless 5 - it never mwahed right to me. But others have said their Carvins mwahed just fine.

I recently sold it for $400.00 Paid almost $1000.00 5 years ago. Not good re-sale IMO.

I still have a LB75 fretted - I converted it to Piccolo and it sounds good. I agree about the close string spacing. I have 19mm on my Pedulla PentaBuzz and I'm in love with that. It's a little weird to switch back and forth to the Carvin.

I'd try to find a used one - much better value.

On another note mentioned above - The whole "support your local Music store" idea should only be valid if your local store actually HAS what you want at a reasonable price. Most local stores DON'T so I'm happy to avoid them and shop online if need be. I don't need a local shop to special order something I can hop online and order myself.

16. What vintage was the bass? The older electronics were not as good as the push/pull active passive version. I always thought they were too hot. I have been happy with my older LB76 since I changed out the electronics.

17. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I love my carvin! great mwah, great action, I don't see the problem with the pups, they aren't amazing but they r pretty shweet! it plays like butter except for when the back of the neck gets sticky, but then clean it.
  18. IMO personally I haven't heard pickups a whole lot better. I have one bass with the stacked humbuckers and one with the soap bar at the bridge and the single coil at the neck. I think the electronics are top notch. They sound as good to me as anything I have played from Conklin, Tobias, Alembic or Lakeland to name a few. Maybe the ears aren't as good as it used to be... :D

One of my basses has a tung oiled neck and the other is lacquered. The lacquered neck will get a bit sticky from time to time. But I clean the bass after I play pretty religiously.
  19. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Tis not a soap bar, it's a humbucker ;) ohhh a tongue oiled neck, sounds fancy in a gross kind of way I wonder how much they pay a guy to apply that. I've liked bass once and dont plan on doing it anytime soon......Tung :cool: :bag:

got pics?
  20. I know it's a humbucker, always called those big humbuckers soapbars... don't know why I must have seen it somewhere...

oh and Riiiiiiiiight... tung... DOH!

I'll snap some photos right now it'll take a little while...