1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin Fretless AC-40 action at the NUT?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bluesky, Feb 21, 2016.

1. bluesky

bluesky

May 3, 2014
    I am considering buying a Fretless Carvin AC-40 but can't find one to try out. Carvin says the action at the 24th fret is 5/64 inch, which is about 2 mm, which is about 5 business cards. Can anyone with a Carvin fretless AC-40 please tell me what the action is at the nut? You can measure it by seeing how many business cards stacked up will fit between the fret board and the bottom of the E string at the nut. (One business card thickness is about 0.4 mm or 1/64 inch). Thanks.

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    One business card clearance at the nut is more than enough. I actually go for just a few thousandths clearance there.

3. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    It would depend on how the nut was filed on any particular bass. If it's too high, you're in luck because you can file it more. Too low and you're replacing the nut. Kinda works that way with any bass. I don't know that you could glean too much from finding out how the nut was filed on a different bass, even if it is the same make and model.

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Yup! I've got an AC50 fretless and I think I filed the nut just a bit. As Turnaround says, for fretless low is the way to go at the nut. Don't worry about how they come from the factory because all this is just part of setup on a new bass to get it the way you like it. I also played it strung with high C for a while but never changed the nut. Worked equally well with High C and Standard stringing with no further nut adjustments.

5. bluesky

bluesky

May 3, 2014
    Thanks for your fast responses. I guess you guys are right about being able to file or replace the nut. And I do want as low action as I can reasonably get. I have two concerns about lowering the nut: 1) Will it mess up the intonation-that is, will the notes no longer be just behind the fretline? and 2) Will it lose the Mwah sound that I hear and love on the AC-40 demo?

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Anything having to do with the nut only impacts the open strings. Once you press the string down anywhere on the neck the nut is out of the equation.

You're asking questions about factory setup. Those numbers aren't relevant to individual players' adjustments of their instruments once they get them home.