1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin H50n replacements...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NelsonNelson, Jul 27, 2012.

1. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
    I was wondering people's opinions of the older Carvin H50n jazz (no dot) pickups?

Are there any suggestions as to a replacement and will I hear the tone difference? I read on here that someone compared them with Barts and the difference recorded was so trivial.

2. Envincibal

Envincibal Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Philly, PA
    I had a '97 LB75 with the H50n pickups and I thought is sounded very bland... I went through several pickups and preamps, and I found that a set of Nordy NJ5S combined with an Audere preamp was exactly what that bass needed - it went from bland and dull to growly and aggressive. If you're not looking for some pickups with some teeth, you might prefer the Bart deep tone (I had also used those pickups, and while they sounded much better than the H50n's, I was looking for more bite).

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    The H50Ns were the stock pickups in my 1992 LB70 - my first ever Carvin bass guitar. I used them strictly in passive mode at the time - and was not impressed with their bland tone and lack of punch. Presumably they would sound better with a good preamp, though I didn't keep mine long enough to find out.

As for suggestions for a replacement, the H50Ns are the very same dimensions as the standard Fender Jazz bridge pickup - meaning that there are literally replacements galore, . It all depends on the type of tone you favor.. :meh:

MM

4. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
    Now that Talkbass is up and working again...I can respond to both of you. I want a clear thick sound that is just very full. I hate treble on a bass...that clanky pop punk bass sound or soloists use. And I don't want growl as I have a Warwick already for that sound...the brighter rock growly sound that I love for that bass.

It's already a very mellow jazzy sounding bass with the alder sides...which I like...I just want it a bit more punchy, with more lows and mids. There are about 10 options out there. I'd prefer no hum, so that limits me too.

The preamp is active and I'm not sure if it needs replacement...Any suggestions?

5. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    DiMarzio Area J pickups work very well for what you describe and aren't too expensive.

6. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Wilde J45-L pickups by Bill Lawrence are a drop-in replacement and sound dramatically better.

BossOnBass likes this.
  7. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
  8. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
    I heard that they are difficult to order...is that true? Also, what is the sound difference like? More bass....mids boosted...clarity?

What's funny is those were the only pickups I finally was considering after looking at every make and model of jazz pickup. I know that I need the same length for each one...so the J45-L fits in both neck and bridge?

9. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
  10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    They are not difficult to order. Worst case scenario is that it may simply take a few weeks to get them in some cases, depending on where Bill & Becky are in the production cycle. If they've "just whipped up a fresh batch", you may be in luck: you'll get your pickups right away. If you have to wait until they make up the next batch, it could be a little while. This is a mom & pop operation - literally. This goes with the territory... :eyebrow:

Yes. Get a pair of the J45-L.

MM

11. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
    I just pulled the trigger on a pair of J45-L's! You were right about them having "batches" as Becky or someone who answered a minute ago said, "You're in luck, Bill just finished a new batch." lol

After beating myself in the head reading reviews on pickups and reading stuff on here and reading and reading....I don't want to change my modern clean sound at all. I only want to enhance it with more tonal range and clarity. And not really wanting to spend more than $120-ish range for a set...yeah I'm cheap...I kept going back to the Wilde aka Bill Lawrence pickups.

Bartolini's seem too similar, other ones were either way too pricey for my limited funds, or just sounded like from their tone description what I did not want in tone for this bass. I don't want bite, or growl or "vintage tone"....but more jazz, bluesy deep bass with clarity, more modern sounding.

I think I'm going to keep the preamp of course, as it's just clear and works fine. Now to figure out the wiring once I get these in....lol

12. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    As I responded to your PM, the J45s have a full range sound, not exaggerated in any way. Just a nice clear J-style pickup tone. Much better than the compressed sounding old style H50s IME.

Carvin basses use the Fender bridge position J rout for both positions. So the J45-L is the one to get for both. You'll wind up with a hotter than normal neck pickup as a result - bridge pickups are normally wound hotter than neck, to compensate for smaller string motion - but I never found it to be a problem.

13. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
    So....I'm assuming I currently have the same pickup in my bass in both positions, so it'll probably still sound the same output wise right?

I was also thinking I could always lower the pickup height a bit more if it bothered me that much. I don't want to wait 5-6 weeks for a custom ordered neck pickup..haha I just don't want it to be super loud as I prefer the bridge pickup more.