1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin H50n

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Just curious if any has bought this pup, Stacked Humbucker single coil replacement for jazz,...im eventually gonna get me a MIM jazz, now that they're relatively cheap, and i prefer the sound of a humbucker in the bridge position....any comments?

http://www.carvin.com/products/part.php?ItemNumber=H50N

2. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Those came stock on my Carvin LB76 bass when I bought it 10 years ago. I don't know if the specs for them have changed since then. They're not horrible pickups, I guess they have what one would call a pretty "flat" response, meaning that one frequency range doesn't seem to be accentuated or favored over others. I eventually wanted a pickup with more low-mids and a little less clank on the top that would go well with a fretless, so I replaced them with Barts.

3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I agree keb. Flat response, not much coloring. I actually like the sound of them run passive. In my maple bodied LB75 they do an adequate job. I also like Barts and Basslines for their distinctive tones. Be sure to accurately measure your existing rout to be sure the carvin will be a drop in fit.

4. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    I've had the H50n's in two Carvin basses, both fretless, and I found them to be noise-free, as you would expect, but overall kind of sterile sounding. They sound decent and they're very affordable, but after changing the pickups in my LB76F to Seymour Duncan SJB-5Bs the difference in overall tone (for the besster) was very noticeable. I get a much more accurate translation of the sound I hear unplugged with the Basslines than I did with the stock H50s which, again, were decent, but didn't, to my ears, bring out the inherent sound of the instrument.

Still...for the price, they're a good deal, particularly if you can find a set used. I've also used the DiMarzio Model J's in yet another fretless and was pleased with the nice woody tone I got out of those. Pretty strong in the mids though, so not sure if they'd give you that classic Jazz sound if that's what you're after.

J.