Carvin H50n

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Just curious if any has bought this pup, Stacked Humbucker single coil replacement for jazz, eventually gonna get me a MIM jazz, now that they're relatively cheap, and i prefer the sound of a humbucker in the bridge position....any comments?
  2. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Those came stock on my Carvin LB76 bass when I bought it 10 years ago. I don't know if the specs for them have changed since then. They're not horrible pickups, I guess they have what one would call a pretty "flat" response, meaning that one frequency range doesn't seem to be accentuated or favored over others. I eventually wanted a pickup with more low-mids and a little less clank on the top that would go well with a fretless, so I replaced them with Barts.
  3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I agree keb. Flat response, not much coloring. I actually like the sound of them run passive. In my maple bodied LB75 they do an adequate job. I also like Barts and Basslines for their distinctive tones. Be sure to accurately measure your existing rout to be sure the carvin will be a drop in fit.
  4. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    I've had the H50n's in two Carvin basses, both fretless, and I found them to be noise-free, as you would expect, but overall kind of sterile sounding. They sound decent and they're very affordable, but after changing the pickups in my LB76F to Seymour Duncan SJB-5Bs the difference in overall tone (for the besster) was very noticeable. I get a much more accurate translation of the sound I hear unplugged with the Basslines than I did with the stock H50s which, again, were decent, but didn't, to my ears, bring out the inherent sound of the instrument.

Still...for the price, they're a good deal, particularly if you can find a set used. I've also used the DiMarzio Model J's in yet another fretless and was pleased with the nice woody tone I got out of those. Pretty strong in the mids though, so not sure if they'd give you that classic Jazz sound if that's what you're after.