Carvin h50n's in my Yamaha bb605

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by eots, Feb 1, 2006.

1. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I am a proponent of shielding. Works great, but my latest victim, a Yamaha BB605, while quiet with pups equally blended, was still annoyingly loud when either pup was solo'd even just slightly.
    Well, I've got a few basses , not the least of which was my lone fretless wonder, a Carvin LB75AF. A beautiful bass and one which will never get carved on. It came with h50n stacked humbucking pickups.Quiet, mwaherful (new word), but relatively low output for an active preamp. I had a set of bartolini pups so I put them in it and while not much of a change in sound, was still quiet and a pleasing tone. I even tried a set of carvins j99 pups in it but didn't like them in that bass.
    So, now I have the h50n pups with no purpose in life, so I think I'll try'em in the Yammy. Shore 'nuff. Still have the bright and powerful pop that I like about the NE-1 preamp and now the useable option of either pup by itself.
    Just thought I'd share my experiment.
  2. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I love my BB605 with a Bartolini 5.4 preamp and Bartolini pups.
  3. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    I popped a set of hn50's into a passive sx and it came out great. Dead quiet, very smooth and clear. I'm not convinced that carvin pups are worth the price new (almost the same as a set of barts) but they are a great deal used and worlds ahead of most stock pickups.

By the way, what barts did you put in the carvin?
  4. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I don't recall what was scratched into the underside but there were 3 pins sticking out with the leads soldered to them. I presume they are dual coil of some sort. They came in a bb405 that the (TB'r) also threw the stock pups in. I put those in it (after shielding) and kept the barts for other experiments.The barts still had some hum while in that bass however.