Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin h50n's in my Yamaha bb605

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by eots, Feb 1, 2006.

1. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I am a proponent of shielding. Works great, but my latest victim, a Yamaha BB605, while quiet with pups equally blended, was still annoyingly loud when either pup was solo'd even just slightly.
    Well, I've got a few basses , not the least of which was my lone fretless wonder, a Carvin LB75AF. A beautiful bass and one which will never get carved on. It came with h50n stacked humbucking pickups.Quiet, mwaherful (new word), but relatively low output for an active preamp. I had a set of bartolini pups so I put them in it and while not much of a change in sound, was still quiet and a pleasing tone. I even tried a set of carvins j99 pups in it but didn't like them in that bass.
    So, now I have the h50n pups with no purpose in life, so I think I'll try'em in the Yammy. Shore 'nuff. Still have the bright and powerful pop that I like about the NE-1 preamp and now the useable option of either pup by itself.
    Just thought I'd share my experiment.

2. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I love my BB605 with a Bartolini 5.4 preamp and Bartolini pups.

3. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I popped a set of hn50's into a passive sx and it came out great. Dead quiet, very smooth and clear. I'm not convinced that carvin pups are worth the price new (almost the same as a set of barts) but they are a great deal used and worlds ahead of most stock pickups.

By the way, what barts did you put in the carvin?

4. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I don't recall what was scratched into the underside but there were 3 pins sticking out with the leads soldered to them. I presume they are dual coil of some sort. They came in a bb405 that the (TB'r) also threw the stock pups in. I put those in it (after shielding) and kept the barts for other experiments.The barts still had some hum while in that bass however.