1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin "Hard as nails" fingerboard finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quackhead, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    Does Carvin still offer this as an option on their fretless basses? It's not listed on their bass builder on the website.

Does anyone have this finish on their fingerboard? If so, can you compare it to other manufacturers like Pedulla?

I'd love a Pedulla buzz, but I don't have $5K. :bawl:

2. I have a polyester coated Cliff Bordwell fretless 4 that I got for way less than $5k.

3. Jake8773

Jake8773

Jun 20, 2011
    IDK,,, I don't think they do. I would call em' Might me available but not "offered"

4. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    That's good to know, but it doesn't really answer my question.

5. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    Thanks. I'm planning on ordering a fretted model and potentially a fretless too. I guess I'll ask them when I call to place the order. If they don't offer it, then I'll look at other fretless options.

6. DSC00751.

You sure? ;)

Last I checked, Carvin doesn't have a P pickup if you're looking to nail the Pedulla Buzz tone.

7. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    oh baby...

8. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yes, they still offer it. I believe it is listed as an "Option 50" which from my understanding negates the 10 day return period.

I do believe that the Carvin process is using several layers of cyanoacrylate (Superglue) with sanding in between. It's a time intensive process. Pedulla's method is to spray the fingerboard with polyester.

I had a cyanoacrylate finish on my fretless Stambaugh which I thought worked well.

9. Also 7.8lbs if I remember correctly. Bass by Cliff Bordwell.

I wanted a Buzz, but wanted a 3 band EQ, bird's eye fingerboard, and 35" scale. Mission accomplished.

10. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    As of Feb 2012, it was still an option. $250 and voids the 10 day trial.

11. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    The buzz comes with P/J, J/J, or soapbars. I don't think the P/J is the be-all-end-all of pickups for that bass, although it's what I'd get if I could afford one. I want a nice fretless, not just a buzz clone. I think an SB5000 with a MM/J pickup configuration and a hard as nails finish would be pretty nice.

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

They offer it, it is called an "Option 50". Which means they will do it but you void your 10-day return policy. Check out some option 50 colours, I debated doing carribean burst on my LB76 but wasn't totally sure if I would love the bass. The manufacturing code is HFC.

13. I heard a P/J Buzz that made me a little too tingly in the pants and couldn't resist. P/J basses tend to be a weakness of mine.

I'm still a little surprised that Carvin doesn't offer a P pickup. They've really expanded their lines over the years.

14. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Have you tried the MM/J config? Just asking because when the SB came out for a year or so the only SB basses that you saw for sale in the TB classifieds were MM/J.

15. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    Yep, it definitely won't sound like a jazz bass with the MM at the bridge. It's going to have a Bunny Brunel sound, or the typical Carvin sound you get with the MM - a pretty mid-heavy type of tone.

That's probably why it's not a popular option, since most folks are looking more for the single-coil sound when they go for an SB.

But that said, the best sounding bass I have is my Bunny 6, with the huge MM at the bridge. Not as mid heavy as the 4, maybe a slightly scooped version of the typical Bunny sound.

LS

16. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    I owned an LB75 walnut series bass, the LB75W, a few years ago with the MM/J configuration and it sounded amazing, IMHO, YMMV, etc...

I play with both pickups full most of the time so I like the bite of the mids of the MM mixed with the bass of the neck jazz pickup. It is full but cuts through better than a jazz. And I already have a nice jazz so I don't need another.

17. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    spade2you, while Carvin doesn't make a P style bass. One of the members here got a 4 or 5 string bolt neck kit and had it routed to accept a p style pickup and a luthier finished it off. I can't remember the complete story but if I run across the thread I'll forward it to you. Maybe he will see this post and give you the full rundown.

18. The answer to the epoxy "hard as nails" coating on the fingerboard is YES. :D

I got this beauty in the fall of 2012. It's a walnut body, maple laminate layer, and a figured walnut top. A walnut neck with 2 maple stripes. And a BEM board with no lines/no dots. It's a walnut/maple look overall.

The HAN finish on the board I can only describe as being like marble. It is super hard and super smooth. It's hard to describe. I am running flats on it currently, but got it with rounds.

My pickups are J99A's at the neck and bridge. These are the updated single coils with an ALNICO core, rather than ceramic. Their output is HUGE. The clarity and presence across the tonal register is amazing. I did not anticipate growl, but it's there. These are killer pu's. I have piezos in the saddles of this puppy and they blend in well.

So, here's my link to my NBD thread so you can have a look. I've also given you a link to my hack/poser soundclip. I did it fast right when I got it to A/B my fretted and this new fretless. Use headphones, bro. Sorry for being such a piece of crap player. No need to rip me.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/nbd-claro-walnut-fretless-birdseye-board-917774/

Any questions, man, let me know.
    :D

:bassist:

19. schizmann

schizmann

Apr 23, 2013
    Yes it is still availble - you can only order over the phone !