1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin has a new 10" speaker in their catalog

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ray man, Jan 11, 2012.

1. I got the Carvin 2012 catalog by mail and I noticed new 10" drivers, the TS10-4 & TS10-8.
    There is no info available anywhere including the Carvin web site.
    Has anybody seen/heard these things?

Btw, im not looking for new speakers, just suprised to see something new and wondered whats to be said about them.:meh:

2. ....

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I'd be interested in some real specs on the 4ohm model. Decent, and affordable, 8ohm 210's are hard to come up with for the DIY crowd.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    They look very similar to Celestion TF10. Probably an OEM variant.

5. No real specs.
    It just says bass guitar applications, 300w continuous, 600w program, 1200 peak. 2.5" voice coil. 56 oz magnet. 50-6khz. 8.6 lbs.
    It looks like its made by Celestion.

6. Yeah, it does look like the TF10.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Have to check which one that is, the "green" label ones have decent excursion, the "orange" ones are a no-go.

8. Btw, it's not neodymium

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If they're going to Celestion for their OEm's a variant of this line Celestion - Bass Guitar Loudspeakers would make far better drivers for bass guitar. The TF's 2mm xmax makes me not even give it a second look. It's likely easier for them to cross-purpose them in vocal monitors, small PA speakers, etc. but I wouldn't be putting that in a bass cab.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Are the TF's the same ones Avatar blowing out that we keep saying "don't get them for bass?".

They may make decent speakers for vocal applications.

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1. Carvin lists theirs with a 58oz magnet, the TF1020 is 42 oz, so probably not the same driver. Still, no specs, no sale.

12. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    The LsX1503 I bought a couple years ago came with celestions in it, so using celestion for eom is not new.

The driver was 4ohm though, which was weird since it was supposed to be an 8ohm.All things considered, I wasnt all that impressed with the celestion they used.

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    It is around that time or maybe even before they switched vendors. For example, the PS line all looked like the Celestion magnets but still had the same Carvin model numbers. The T/S specs they did publish once years ago never changed even though the drivers did, even while they were still working with eminence so you can ignore those.

They've used Celestion as upgrades for their guitar speakers for many years and eventually went totally that way.....guess that's what they did for the rest of the line as well. Any of the older versions you can still get I would assume are remaining stock they still have in the warehouse.

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1

15. sonic 7

sonic 7

Aug 10, 2011
    Queens, N.Y.C.
    Looks like a special order celestion. In the brx cabs it would have to have a frequency response and Xmax of the green and power handling of the orange.

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The "green" BL series from Celestion aren't bad electric bass drivers at all, I like those. Haven't seen much if anything else from them I'd put in a bass cab. Plenty of good ones for vocal, and of course guitar applications though. One of the tube retailers used to carry the good ones, can't remember which...tubesandmore maybe?

17. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Carvin will give you specs if you ask them.

18. I noticed the ps15's look a lot like the green ones as well.

19. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Probably be worth an email to see what sort of info they send back on the new line of stuff....may do that tomorrow. I don't really care if they're not neo. I'm not one of these guys who frets over a few pounds. I really like my neo's, but because of their performance, not their weight....or lack of it. Check back in 20 more years, might be a bigger deal to me then.:D

20. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    KJMO likes this.