1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

carvin hb5

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by superphat, Aug 27, 2002.

1. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    carvin players~
    can anybody tell me about the carvin musicman style pickup? how does it sound?
    i'm thinking about trying it out in my mtd heir 5 as a bridge replacement.
    thanks in advance~

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It was the saddest excuse for an MM pickup I've ever had the displeasure to own.

The only use I found for it was to augment the single coil tone of the much more powerful J99.

"Weak", "thin", and "boxy" are the first three words that come to mind when I think of that Carvin pickup. Some people at the Carvin discussion board even suspected it was made in some third-world country. I don't think so but somebody really missed the mark with it.

3. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    wow...
    i guess i'm glad i asked... :)
    thanks for sharing rickbass.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Well, there are a few people I've seen who defended it, so I'm no "supreme authority."

But I've got a Bartolini MM on a Lakland Skyline now that will kick the Carvin MM out of the neighborhood.

Getting the Carvin MM option was $40 and that also required getting the "rounded body option" for another $40. So, that's $80 right there. For that kind of money, you can get a serious MM pickup but have to pay to get it installed. But at least that way you've got a major-league MM pickup instead of a sad impostor.

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I also agree that the Carvin MM pickup (HB) really LACKS tonally. It is not the normal MM sound. When I had my Carvin LB70 I switched it out for the Basslines Ceramic MM pickup and never looked back. There was a big improvement in the sound (and I kept the Carvin electronics). I have since sold the bass and moved on to IMHO better basses.

But I am getting another Carvin in the mail soon :) (an early 80s LB50).

-KB

6. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    If you get a carvin 5 string and plan to change the pickups down the line, do NOT get the wide neck option or the BB-5 model. The pickup dimensions are different and you won't find a drop-in replacement anywhere.

and i agree that the carvin HB pickup lacks. Abuout 4 months ago i replaced mine with a bartolini one (although the fit is ackward) and it's a million times better to my ears.