Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

carvin HD1800 power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eno, Aug 14, 2005.

1. eno

eno

Jul 26, 2005
    Hey,
    Has anyone used a carvin hd1800 power amp?
    I just got a hold of a ampeg pre amp and was wanting to
    mate it with this resonable priced power amp,thats on sale
    now at carvin for $279.00, no bad for the headroom of
    1800 watts bridged @4 ohms,or 600 watts per side @
    4 ohms.and 900 watts per side@2ohms.
    I have used carvin power amps in PA set ups,and they
    sound good and with no problems.

I,am old school, my rigg is a GK800rb and two hartke
    4-10 cabs, I just got a good deal on this preamp,and
    want to put it to good use. I'am open to opinon from
    all who want to answer

2. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    *bump*

anyone used one of these?

3. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i'm also interested in this amp...i haven't heard too much about it, everyone talks about carvins dcm power amps...

4. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    The sale on it just looks too good to be true.

The only disappointment I'm seeing that they list is it's lack of speakon outputs.

5. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
  6. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    We are determined to find someone who has used this amp!!!

:bassist:

Hell, I may just buy one anyways for this price and try it out.

7. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    right, i can't find any info on it anywhere! carvin's dcm power amps seem to get good reviews, and these new ones have a ridiculous power/cost ratio...1800 watts at 4 ohms for under $300??? and at only 32 pounds???

8. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Yeah, and the tone quality specs they give show only small difference from the dcm series

9. Hey, as a total newbie to this forum and the bass (sax player) I am currently looking to get a decent 400-500 watt amp at 4 ohms. I was wondering if you might get more bang for your buck by getting the HD1800 and a preamp instead of a single head unit. Is it as simple as getting a power amp and a bass preamp? If so, recommendations for a good inexpensive preamp?

10. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Seeing that they're on sale again for $250, it's near impossible to pass this deal up if you have the funds.

You could say a poweramp preamp combo is not as simple as a head, but the difference is very minor when it comes to difficulty of operation. Generally you're giong to have one more power cable to plug in, one more 1/4" cable to plug and an additional volume control(or two). Easy to figure out.

As for a preamp, you can get a BBE BMax or Sansamp rbi for $300 new. Keep your eyes on the used market also though, you may find a steal.

11. I too wonder the same thing....

12. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    I just installed an HD1800, and an HD900 at my church last week. Besides the lack of speakon connectors, this amp is awesome. Very low noise, and plenty of power. We are using the 1800 for the mains, and the 900 for the monitors. Cranked up high everything is very clear. Lows are very precise, and the highs are very crisp. I don't think you will regret buying this amp. I'm sure it will provide plenty of power & headroom whatever the application. And for the price it can't be beat. Hope this helps.:cool:

13. thanks. What do you have for a pre-amp?

14. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    I am using the power amps for our church not for my bass. I come out of the mixer in to an EQ then in to the amp.

15. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I used one with an Alembic F1X preamp for a while. Sounded great. No complaints whatsoever. I also got mine at an awesome sale price at the time! (I still think they're a deal at the current price, though.)

Matt