Carvin head losing volume!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by air4me2, May 3, 2002.

1. air4me2

air4me2 Guest

Feb 19, 2002
    OK i got the RL1000 head,, i always run it with input gain at 0, both power amps at 5 and the master volume at about 1.5-2 for jamming with my drummer. NOW i have to turn the master volume up to 4 or 5 to keep up!! whats up with this?? Did the amp go into "shutdown" mode or what?

I should mention that I first noticed it a couple days ago,, thought it would go back to normal but it hasnt!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
  2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    could it be from hearing loss?
    if not maybe your drummer is playing louder
  3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    A couple possibilities: (1) you all could be playing louder w/o noticing, (2) if you have an active bass, your batteries could be dying and thus putting out less signal, (3) the amp could have a problem that needs fixing, (4) if you have the series I or II R1000, which has an actual tube in the preamp, the preamp tube may need replacing. I say, try the easy stuff first, such as replacing batteries and tubes if applicable.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

- What happens if you put some Gain on it??? (Personally, I never used it at 0 ).

- Are you engaging the Noise Gate at all??? If so, don't!!! It's worthless, IME.

Otherwise, I'd do as Richard says - get a hold of Carvin before you try solutions that require buying things, (especially since you're in S. Cal.).
  5. air4me2

air4me2 Guest

Feb 19, 2002
    Thanks for the help guys.

Im gonna try using my other cable to see if the other one is just crap or what. My bass is a passive Jazz,, so thats a dead end. Noise gate is off and its a series III head with no preamp tube,, so thats a dead end. As far as my drummer playing louder that is possible,, but I shouldnt have to crank a freakin 1000 watt amp up 3 notches to make up for it!!! In the hearing department I ALWAYS wear -30db earplugs,, so i dont think thats the problem.

Well if nothing works I just take it down to Carvin!!
  6. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I guess one more long shot is to ask about the compressor. If you did not use much (or any) compression the first time, then kicked up the threshold and ratio a bit later on, that might have a very noticeable effect on volume too. Especially if the ratio is up a good deal, more like a limiter.