Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin = Headache!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funkster, May 11, 2004.

1. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Just to give you all a FYI, There service dept is horrible there techs know absolutely nothing and they were really nasty to me and my wife on the phone.
    I bought a brand new PA1200 from them a few months back and it keeps going off on default mode. I have sent it back to be fixed and I keep getting the same story. We tested it for 5 hours and nothing is wrong.
    I can't believe this.. It's on it's way back to me so when I get it home It's going to do the same thing and it go off on default mode.
    I have a 20 year old PV head hooked up right now and it works and sounds better than this POS carvin head ever did out of the box. They could care less about Customer service.. They almost remind me of a CO I worked for..lol
    Anyway I just thought I would pass along a FYI to anyone planning on buying any of there pro sound stuff. DON'T!!!!
    Believe me it's not like me to complain about any manufacture but these people just downright pissed me off. I was nice as pie and even had my wife talk to them and they were A-Holes to her also and she was nice as pie.
    Man what is corporate America coming to..
    Needless to say I'm gathering up all my Carvin crap that I own and getting rid of it.. Look in the classifieds for a massive Carvin sale form me.....

Thanks for letting me rant...

I know there is some good Carvin stuff out there and I never had a problem with them before, Hec I have never had a problem with any manufacture before..
    But the cheesy Customer service has to be brought out for the public to know..

2. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    Really? Maybe I just got lucky. When I got my DCM1500, I turned it on and after a few seconds... POP! I saw a flash of light inside the amp and a bit of smoke. What's wierd, is that after I turned it off and turned it back on, it worked fine. But I called Carvin anyway, just to be safe. They handled it fine, they sent UPS to my apartment to pick up the old unit, right after they shipped out a new one. They paid for shipping and all.

3. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    They even soaked me for shipping... :mad:

4. That was my experience with Bose's customer support. See how it can color your viewpoint? ref:link

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Psycho you made me laugh!! I kinda made that reference in my thread about a place I worked!!! If ya caught the drift ;)
    I can't directly say though :D

6. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I had some similar problems with Carvin customer service with my old R600 III amp. I kept sending it back to them (my expense) to get repaired under warranty for a buzz.
    They never really fixed it right, so I got tired of it, sold it and sold all my other Carvin gear. I won't make the mistake of going with them again. I know that some people have good experiences with them and some of their gear is OK, but I really don't miss the hassle and besides....the amp didn't sound that good anyway (kind of bland).

7. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    ditto with an R1000. they claimed it didn't exist...but the hiss was there!! I promise!!! aaawwww forget it...and off to Ebay she went! ;) :D

8. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    This is what I'm talking about, this is twice I had the same prob with my 6 month old 750 dollar PA1200 head.
    They say it's fine and I get it home and the prob is still there.
    There service dept has there head up there A#*

I'm doing the same thing everything I own that has the Carvin name is gone!!!
    Should have stuck with my old crappy PV gear.....
    Oh Well live and learn

9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    That's surprising. I've always had good experiences with Carvin's repair people. Maybe something is changing over there. Thanks for the heads-up.

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I had a Carvin tube pre, tube power amp, and 4x12 cab. The amp died within 6 months. It didn't sound good anyway, so I just sold it rather than get it fixed.

I think there's a good reason they don't sell them in stores. They don't want people trying before they buy. Ick.

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Lets go Ampeg lets go ;) :hyper: :hyper:

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

PS i found Carvin to be difficult to communicate with too, that was the guitar department. It was funny i would say do you have any bassist around that i could talk to about ordering a custom instrument and i called several times and they all seem to be bassist over their and had no clue as to what a bassist is looking for in a bass.

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I think it may have to do with their desert island status. If they had dealers, they would hear more feedback through customers, stores, reps, etc. As it is, they have isolated themselves from all outside information, and have to rely on their inside advisers to provide them with all their information.

Kind of like a certain American president I know....ZING!