Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin- I cant wait!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oldirtymoney, Mar 4, 2003.

1. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    Well today after school im going to carvin to look at the RL810 setup- you know the one, 8 10inch speakers, horn, redline 1000watt head for a great price of 1200. Im amp cuz my parents are goin lone me the money for now untill i sell my old music man and old amp. I hope it sounds great anyone try one???

2. Do you have a huge vehicle to bring that thing home? that thing is monsterous! Very cool though. I haven't played through that rig yet but I've played through the R600 head and a 410 cab and the amp is very versitile, and the cab was decent. I do own a PB200 and that is a very solid amp and i'm sure the same quality aplies to the RL810 rig.

Good luck!:)

3. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    You'll also probaly need a couple roadies, How much does it weigh?

Congratulations, though. Let us know how it sounds.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Please, please PLEASE consider getting two 4x10 cabinets if you are still a student relying on your parents, and if its your only cab. MUCH easier to transport, more versatile, and the same coverage.

You'll make people nervous showing up for a rehearsal or a performance in a small venue carrying such a monstrous thing. With two 4x10's, you can leave one home if need be, or stack them should you somehow need both.

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I agree about the 810 cab...what a monster...The only way I would even consider one is if I was going to leave it at my practice space permanently!!

It is just much better to have midsize cabs.

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    No doubt that 8x10s are not practical, but hey if you have the van/truck and you are young enough to lift the thing, go for it. 8x10 is cool as well cool as you-know-what. I was at the music store today and couldn't stop drooling at the Ampeg SVT rig in the consignment shop. SVT 810 topped by an SVT Classic. That is THE rig.

7. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    well....huge change in the course im heading too. First my good friend who has been playing bass for years says carvin sucks super bad and so did the people at guitar center. Guy at gc hooked up me into a mesa boogie 4 tens cab and 1 15cab and a swr 350 watt head. Sounded great!!! but thing was that he had the master on all the way up, but the gain on like 3? doesnt seem like it would have that much power but sounded great. I was really worried about getting a terrible destortion when playing my low b and i didnt get that untill it was all the way kinda up there. its was a phat system 800 watt head!! why didnt it feel like it? haha dont even ask about price, im goin back tomorrow with my friend who can get me a phat discount, i also tryed at ampeg full stack set up sounded nice as well

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    You won't be dissapointed. shake the haters off, Carvin makes great amps and cabs.

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Some yokels at GC here were telling me the other day to stay away from SWR because they were having money troubles.

That seems to be a built-in default mechanism with these guys when they can't answer a question.

10. I doubt seriously that Guitar Center sell Carvin, so their agenda is obvious. I don't know what your friends bias might be. I've played Carvin amps in the past, they're fine. I use a Hartke now, but I kind of just stumbled into it, I had no problems with Carvin amps, and I still play Carvin basses. Just beware of peoples' agenda's and biases.

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Word,

I go to the music shop that sells Ibanez, and kids are asking for fender, the saleman says "You don't want a Fender, you want an IBANEZ, wayyy cooler, more TONES! And the people that play fenders are bunch of old farts right? Yeahhhh"

Go the music store that sells fenders and kids sak for Ibanez

"No no no, see, Fender has been around forever, so they have to be better right? yes, AND, Ibanez players are a bunch of non-serious cheese heads right? yessss. We do have a layaway plan, and there is this BEAUTIFUL red MIA Jazz bass you need."

People only work to further the sales they can get. play first. then judge.

12. ive heard mixed reviews on carvin's heads, but i can vouch for the cabs - They suck! Avatar will give you 2x the cab for way less money. Look at it this way: by buying locally, you have to pay taxes, shipping is about the same as the tax on a $400 cab. but on $1000, you'll see a savings.
    For the same money you can get these:
    [​IMG] $299 (mus friend)

+

[​IMG] $299 (mus friend)

+

[​IMG] $339 + 42
    [​IMG] $339 + 42

= 1276 + shipping.

this is 2x the rig of the carvin

13. SCH

SCH

May 3, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    One of the greatest things about TalkBass is that you can do extensive research on gear. You are not restricted to the hyperbole of sales people.

Do a thorough search on Carvin, or any maker of gear. Read all the posts. Go to a store and play the gear (hard to do with Carvin). Make up your own mind.

14. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    It's not hard if the original poster lives in Carlsbad, maybe 15 minutes from Carvin's factory store!

15. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Sorry Mods, this is blatant advertising!

ATTN; I'M SELLING MY CARVIN 810 CAB! Only used for approx 4 months, sounds great. It IS big, that's why I'm ditching it. $400 bucks, I can deliver to your area if you're interested. I am DESPERATE to get some cash for a fretless.

16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    We do have PM and ANOTHER fourm for this:rolleyes:

17. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    well guys, went to GC today walked out with..
    mesa boogie 4x10s half stack with horn
    mesa boogie 15x
    swr sm 900head

sounds like a dream come true, i have 30 days to try it out, my bands goin play some gigs and i will see whats goin on, but man its plays so nice

18. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You've made an excellent choice . . .

19. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    i hope man, i was a little scared about the sm 900, i just didnt no if i liked it. When i hooked it up in my garage it sounded wayyyyyyyyyyyy better then at guitar center where sound hits off everything in the whole room. Im goin try it out at a gig on friday, its just a little party show so we wont be miced but i guess that will show what this baby can really do. I still want to try some eden heads though, would mesa cabs and eden head go well???????:confused:

20. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Eden heads will probably get you a bit more warmth than the SWR.

BTW, where is the party down in Carlsbad?! Everytime I go there its deader then a door nail. Spin records gets old after a while, the Coyote has generally mediocre bands,, TJ is too far away. NOT to mention that sitting around at Surf Motel sucks.

whatever