1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin Icon 5 strings Upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Josbass1980, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Josbass1980

Josbass1980

Dec 25, 2016
    I have a Carvin Icon 5 strings, I'm planning to upgrade this bass guitar (pickup and preamp) and I need advice, What do you recommend? There are many options and I have no experience. I would appreciate your advice.

Peru2015 likes this.
  2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm interested in this as well. I have both an Icon 5 and LB75 with the newer Carvin preamp. I must say that I have love/hate relationship with the newer Carvin pres. They sound great, but I find the sweepable mids frustrating - it's real easy to go from boxy and thin to boomy and muddy; finding the sweet spot can sometimes be a challenge. I have an older LB75 and XB75, and I actually really like the simple three-band EQs on them. The mid EQ is perfect, IMO.

Peru2015 likes this.
  3. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    The pIckups in the Icon are "P2" shape.

Keep in mind that the "standard" neck for the Icon 5 string, has narrow string spacing. 17mm. This will limit some of your pickup choices.

I like the newer Kiesel/Carvin pickups. Especially the single coils. However, if I were to buy another brand, I would probably try the new Nordstrand Big Blades. They still have a radius, like the Kiesel pickups. But their tone is very different. Nordstrand's dual coil neo also seems interesting.

Peru2015 likes this.
  4. Icon5

Icon5

Feb 24, 2009
    PA
    I put an OBP-3 in mine along with the Carvin Rad-Js (single coils). It sounds MUCH better if you ask me.

Peru2015 and Mystic Michael like this.
  5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    My two Carvin Icon five-strings each sport a set of SGD ND3 humbuckers, plus an Audere Pro-Z onboard preamp. Not saying this is the way that you should go as well, as SGD is no longer in business anyway. But there are a number of high-end pickups available to you, including those made by Nordstrand, Delano, Bartolini, etc. With a high-quality, transparent preamp that doesn't get in the way, the sound of your new pickups will largely determine the sound of your bass.

Why don't you fill in the blanks a little more? What is your objective in upgrading your electronics? What specific qualities should the upgraded instrument have? If you'll let us in on the details, people can provide better guidance and suggestions.

MM

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Peru2015 likes this.
  6. Josbass1980

Josbass1980

Dec 25, 2016
    Thank You Mystic Michael. I want my bass to be versatile but at the same time I want to try single coils in other words a jazz tone, what I have now is Music Man Stingray 5.

Peru2015 likes this.
  7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    You might be able to obtain a good single-coil sound by simply installing some splitable pickups, with one of the options being a virtual single-coil mode. That way you get 1) single coil, 2) parallel, and 3) series modes on one instrument. Nordstrand has some P2 shaped, blade single-coils that could be just what the doctor ordered.

Preamps, you have many choices: Aguilar, Bartolini, Audere, Pope, East, Nordstrand, etc. Kind of depends on what you're looking for, tone and performance-wise.

8. Josbass1980

Josbass1980

Dec 25, 2016
    What Im looking for sound wise is a modern jazzy tone. I normally use AG 500, dB410 and tone hammer pedal, if possible I want to use other brands. Many thanks to everyone for your help and recommendation.

Peru2015 likes this.
  9. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Cool. Some sets for your consideration:

If you meant the single coil J pickup kind of thing, then the Nordstrand Jazz Bars or the Aguilar Super Single are probably right up your alley and a way to head for J-bass sounds.

For something more on the humcancelling and smooth end of modern jazz, there's the venerable Nordstrand Dual Coil pickup or the Aguilar Super Doubles if you're looking for that double-J AlNiCo kind of pickup.

For something further from traditional but probably totally awesome for smooth and jazzy also, there's the brand new sidewinder coil Nordstrand ZenBlade or the dual coil ceramic Aguilar DCB.

Josbass1980 and Peru2015 like this.
  10. Josbass1980

Josbass1980

Dec 25, 2016
    Thank U so much for Ur advice, I think Im going for DCB Aguilar with OBP3 preamp, whit this pickups not need to worry about the strings space, what do U think???

Peru2015 likes this.
  11. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Nordstrand will custom build most of their models to your string spacing. I had them make Alnico 3 BigRigs for my Icon with 17mm string spacing. Wonderful pickups.

Kiesel's pickups are about 1 mm less in length and width. And their routes are tight. So I had to sand the clear coat off the inner edges of the routes., to get the Nordstrand pickups to fit.

Peru2015 and Josbass1980 like this.
  12. I've had really good luck with a combination of Nordstrand pickups and Audere Classic preamps in my Ibanez basses.

13. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Same experience here.. Norstrand split coil J pickups and the old Audere 3z in my Warmoth Jazz. The two mid bands you get on that 4 band EQ are just fantastic.

Hmmmm... My MTD Kingston has Nordstand split coil pickups now. *gears turning*

Peru2015 and Josbass1980 like this.
  14. Josbass1980

Josbass1980

Dec 25, 2016
    What I'm currently using is a stingrey 5 musicman with 2 hums, what I'm looking for is something different, today in the morning I spoke with an aguilar representative and he told me that using the super doubles with the obp3 preamp would be almost the same as the musicman. I want to thank everyone for what they have said. I was already decided for the super doubles and the obp3, but since today in the morning I'm still looking for more options. Once again thank you all for your help.

Peru2015 likes this.