Carvin Icon...anybody own one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by countrybass5, Feb 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Never had the chance to play one. The pictures of them look nice.Just wondered if anyone has any experience with them.

2. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Brings a smile to my face every time I plug it in.
    19mm
    Alder body
    Ebony fingerboard
    Radiused single coil pickups
    Around 9 pounds
    MINE.jpg

dbljointedthumb and GlassToMouth like this.
  4. That is a beautiful guitar!

5. Showdown

Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I used to have this one:

aHsEwXL.jpg

It was a really great bass, and beautiful flame maple top. I only sold it because my arthritis makes it hard to play a 6 string these days.

[​IMG]

6. I played a used one at GC one time. Very nice bass but the neck was thicker than I like so I didn’t seriously think about getting it, but it played very well.

7. I played one for the first time at a GC, one with narrow spacing (5-string)...and it wasn’t as narrow as I was expecting. It was actually quite comfortable.
    It was an older model with 2000’s era control layout and Piezo bridge. Alder body with Walnut top, maple/walnut neck.
    Definitely a very substantial bass, it felt bigger than I expected, too. The neck was a bit on the thick side, but for me neck thickness is very low on the list of things that might bother me (my G&L has the thickest baseball bat neck ever, and I love it).
    It sounded great! It took a while to figure out the controls (5-knobs with 3 of them stacked). If I had the $899 asking price, I would have bought it on the spot.

8. I bought an Icon back when they were introduced. I liked it immediately, played and sounded great. I owned that bass for 12 years, then sold it after I got my Xccelerator. I highly recommend the Icon!

9. Thanks for the comments. I am having to make a big decision between getting an icon or getting a pb bass...I'm leaning towards the lcon bass.

10. Bergerman

Bergerman Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Creswell, OR
    Love mine...but I replaced the electronics completely with a Sadowsky preamp and Ulyate single coil soap bars. Never would have spent the upgrade money if I wasn’t totally impressed with the general build quality...I think they are exceptionally well made from a woodworking standpoint!

9464ABE0-4FE1-48E8-9325-C67CB96C2988.jpeg

11. I’ve owned 2, both were great. Traveled a lot with them and they handled the road and crazy southern humidity like champs. I thought the pickups were just “ok” to my ears but the playability of the basses was really nice.

12. I'm trying to decide between an icon and a PB5. I don't have experiance with either of them.Both sound like great basses. I just wanted to hear what you think about them.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021