1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin Icon Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kid_squanto, May 5, 2006.

1. kid_squanto

kid_squanto

May 5, 2006
    I'm really looking into purchasing a Carvin IC4 and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with one. Details would be appreciated.

2. I had the chance to play one at the Carvin factory in San Diego when I visited during my spring break and I found that the neck was far more substantial than the standard LB70/BB70 neck in terms of shape and depth. The body shape also, while photogenic, did not look "right" to me in person. Plugged in, the Icon produces really deep tones but I found the midrange to be a little too overwhelming in an artificial sort-of way.

It's an alright bass, but I'll stick with the LB/BB line.

3. I'm still waiting for these to hit the used marked :(

Of the two recordings I've heard it still sounded like a carvin to me. I'm sceptical about a substantial change in midrange, r u sure you weren't messing with the sweepable midrange much?

Neck is skinner at nut too, did it really get that much thicker depth wise to be considered "substantially" bigger? Is it still C-neck?

I guess that's bad if you like their neck. Perhaps it'll increase stability of the neck that I hear issues about from time to time but i've never had the issue with my LB76 which I personally wouldn't change anything about the neck ... *sigh*

4. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I played one at the Carvin store in Azusa a few weeks ago. It was this crazy looking blue one with a flamed maple top. It had just came in and was not priced or put on the wall. The manager handed it to me when I was picking up my daughters amp and asked what I thought of it.

I thought it was very nice and the build quality of Carvins always impresses me. They are put together so well that it suprises me when you look at the price. Maybe if I had more time with I could find some settings that I liked.

I thought it actually looked better in person than in the advertisements that I have seen for them. The headstock looks way better than the headstock on the LB series but thats just my opinion.

As far as Carvins go they just don't have that Mojo for me. But I think they are fine instruments. I keep trying to make myself get GAS for one but it just hasn't happend...Not yet anyway.

I think I have to cure my GAS for a Ric first...then maybe...

5. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Somwhere out here is a post of Icon sound clips...