Carvin Icon vs. G&L L2000 vs. misc

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by remcult, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Carvin Icon

12 vote(s)
    12.6%
  2. G&L L2000 (Tribute)

20 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Marcus Miller Fender Jazz

13 vote(s)
    13.7%
  4. Ken Smith Burner

6 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Music Man Stingray

25 vote(s)
    26.3%
  6. Carvin LB70

5 vote(s)
    5.3%
  7. MTD Kingston Heir

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  8. Other

13 vote(s)
    13.7%
  1. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    Hi there,

So I'm itching to move up from my starter MIM Fender Jazz to something a little snazzier and more versatile.

Right now I'd like a 4-stringer, jazz-like bass with active electronics; the most I can afford, once I'm set on what to pick up, would top out at around $900 (at most!)

I'd have to sell the Fender for about $350-400 (it's a little dinged up, but mostly in good shape), and possibly a drum kit for around the same, but I'm sure a lot of you can relate to a desire to move on to something new. The issue at the moment is that it's not the easiest thing for me to get to a bass shop to try instruments out, so I've been going off of youtube and talkbass reviews.

I've been looking at the following basses as options (all used):

The main contenders =
    -Carvin Icon
    -G&L L2000 (most likely a tribute)
    -Marcus Miller Fender

Others I'm considering =
    -Carvin LB70
    -Ken Smith Burner
    -Music Man Stingray (I'm unclear on what the merits of the H vs. HH are)
    -MTD Kingston Heir

The priorities are a smooth and highly playable neck, solid electronics, and versatility.

Thanks, and let me know what you think!

2. bhunt1

bhunt1 Vintage Lefty Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Southern DE
    Older than dirt ;)
    I have an LB70 and an L2000. Both are versatile and have comfortable necks, and both are excellent quality. To me, the L2K has a characteristic tone, if you search on youtube you can find some examples. If you like that tone, you will like the L2K. I have the humbucker single coil combo on my LB70, that is quite versatile. If I had to pick between the two, I'd give a slight edge to the G&L but only slight. You can't go wrong with either imo

3. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    The basses you have listed are all over the map as far as sound, feel, and features go. The three main contenders you have listed, for example, are all fine instruments, but wildly different animals.

Maybe you could help us by describing the sort of sound you're going for, and possibly the sorts of features you'd like.

4. +1 I'm withholding a vote until more information is had. I'd love to have most of those, but i'd do totally different work with one vs another.

5. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Also, a used L2000 should fit your budget. That would be a better investment all around than buying a new Tribute.

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Same response... :meh:

The Carvin Icon, in particular, does have a wonderful neck, and is quite highly versatile, and the stock electronics are decent - though not spectacular by any means. But "jazz-like" it is not. It's a 24-fret, active, neck-through instrument with soapbar pickups. That doesn't equate to "Jazz Bass". Not in my book.

If you want to go Carvin, stick with an LB70. It was initially modeled after the Jazz Bass, and still retains some of that legacy.

MM

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Wouldn't an SB model be a better choice if going for a Carvin "Jazz"?

8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Yeah, Bryan, the SB4000 or B40 would be the choice. An Icon is going to be above $900.

Also, I agree that you could get a nice used US L2000 with that budget. Some of the basses you listed are above $900 unless you can get a used deal.

9. JSpradBass

JSpradBass

Mar 3, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    As previously stated all of these basses are very different and some are at the very limits of your budget. Out of your main contenders I would go with the G&L L2000 USA. Great sound, playability, & build quality, although it really doesn't have much in common with a Jazz Bass. Something else worth mentioning is the Music Man S.U.B. USA series. Great Stingray tone at a workingman's price. Carvin makes some nice stuff as well, but $900 wouldn't allow you to buy new. I personally wouldn't want a used one, I would want it customized to my specs. That being said if you want to go Carvin I would go with the LB or check out the B or SB line.

10. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    From the standpoint that the SB is bolt on, 20 frets and is styled in a more vintage manner, yes. The SB was certainly very closely styled after a '70s Jazz Bass.

The LB70 is generally lighter; has 24 frets and is neckthrough, which many people might like; and can be purchased with the same pickups available in the SB. I own both, and honestly like the feel of the LB70 better. The LB has the bridge pickup in the '60's location, I think, so there would be a little difference in tone due to that.

11. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yes, that's a fair point. I mentioned the LB70 mostly because it was already on the OP's short list - and because he never indicated an interest in the Carvin SB series instruments... :meh:

MM

12. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    If I really wanted to buy a jazz bass I'd probably buy a jazz bass. Just sayin:ninja:

The Carvin SB would be a pretty solid option. I voted for the Icon, because they are my favorite of the bunch you listed.

13. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    I have a G&L L2500. I bought it because I got a good deal on it, not really knowing much about the bass other than seeing the name float around. It's now one of my favorites, but it's aggressive and hot. I can only assume the L2000 is the same. If you want punch, that's a good option. Killer sound, lots of options.

If you like the sound of your current Jazz but want a step up, I'd go with the Marcus Miller.

Those are the only two I can speak to currently.

Why not also consider a Precision or a P/J? For $900, you could get an American Deluxe P/J... that was my first quality bass and still my #1 go to.

Final thought... buy used and save.

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I've played both of those Carvins and I've also played a Marcus Miller Jazz. The Marcus Miller bass is much better in my opinion, and I don't really like playing Fenders. It just has a great warm sound that sits really well in the mix. I've also played the MM Stingray both 5vrs and 4 bangers and they're much too bright for my liking.

15. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    thanks everyone for the input. my apologies for not being able to be more specific with the criteria for what sound i'm looking for, i'm still figuring out how to articulate it.

i've seen all of these for $800 and less. i think for now i'm going to hold off for now and figure out which of the Carvins to lean toward, and to try and find a Marcus Miller and L2000 to try

16. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    An American Deluxe Precision Bass is a very nice instrument indeed. Pretty much top of the line as far as I'm concerned. Possibly the best instrument Fender makes... :meh:

MM

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021