1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin Icon with new electronics???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neddihem, May 3, 2015.

1. neddihem

neddihem

Jul 27, 2012
    I called Carvin recently and was told they're using new pups and pre-amp in the Icons now, same ones used in the Vanquish. I had a Icon 5 or 6 years ago for a while but found it nasally sounding.

Anyone here purchase a new Icon lately with these new electronics? Wondering about the sound/tone.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  2. Icon5

Icon5

Feb 24, 2009
    PA
    The new Icon now has Radiused p/u's standard, either the RADJV single coils and RADHV humbuckers. They have AlNiCo magnets and sound bigger and hotter. Also, the circuit now has no volume drop when panned to the center detent (this was first introduced on the active only BB24/25 basses).

My Icon has the first gen Rad J pickups (without the enamel plain vintage wire) and that pretty much got rid of the nasal bland sound from the original ceramic soapbars. So I imagine the JVs are even nastier.