1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin IEM's. Do you own them? (EM900)

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by steve5224, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Hey folks!,
    So I play in a church band that is very active. We play all over the place and here and there we play in big venue, such as the convention center. So with that being said I've been wanting to buy IEM for the big venues. Carvin IEM is pretty cheap compare with other ones and doesnt look bad. I would only use them like maybe 10x a year, maybe more, maybe less. So I dont want to spend that much on them. So if you own the carvin IEM please let me know how they behave on you or if you have another suggestion please let me know. Thanks! Oh almost forgot I play the bass,drums, and soon the sax. Just in case that plays a factor in looking into IEM's.

2. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    I've used them numerous times. After leaving my first band and moving, Every now and then they call me to do fill ins. I just show up with my bass and a direct box. My old guitar player has a set he lets me use and they are great. Only thing i would say is buy better ear buds. The ones that come with them are ok, But i found my 35 dollar skullcandy asym's to sound a little bit better for bass guitar. Everything else sounds great though. They are deff a great buy

3. iamalex123

iamalex123

Feb 12, 2012
    I'm looking at bying the EM900's as well, I've used them, haven't had any problems. I wouldn't use the ear buds that come witih them though. They are alright, but with a full band mix, it was hard for me to have everything as clearly as I would have liked. I've been using the AT IEM ear buds (dual driver) Haven't had an issue

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I own them, and think they're great. The stock buds are not good enough for bass players, but the system has been flawless for me.

5. ggc

ggc

Jan 13, 2009
    My band uses IEMs, and all three of us use the Carvins...
    We use them both at rehersal and live, and have never had a problem with them. We all feel that going to IEMs really improved our sound...We bring our own mixer, so our mix is consistant wherever we go. Everyone gets exactly what they want, and they have been great for my vocals.

We all use the earbuds that the systems come with, but I'm sure that going to better ones, or custom molds, would be even better!

6. NickFromNY

NickFromNY Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I use them too. Upgraded to shure se215s and they are great.. Never a problem with them

7. Thanks for the response guy! For the most part it looks like the ear buds arent the best, what would be a good alternative for a bass player?

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    1964 ears.

9. jad

jad

Aug 29, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I continue to use the Carvin buds with mine. With the foam tips they've been fine, but maybe I don't push as much low end as others. My point is give them a try before you replace them.

10. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I use the buds at church. They do OK, and they have a lot better isolation than the head phones I used to use.

11. NickFromNY

NickFromNY Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Everybodys ears are different. Outside of paying to have custom molds done, its hard to pick the "right" earphones. Im sure the carvin stock ones can work well if you can find the right tips to work on them that seal correctly for your ears. I tried several different ones until i recently got the Shure Se215s. They work for me... May not for you. Try the carvins. Buy replacement tips and see what works.