Carvin introduces anti theft chips to basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ole Jason, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Having your gear stolen is one of every musicians biggest nightmares. Some items are just not so easy to replace, either because they have been broken in and have their own "feel" or the product has been discontinued, not to mention one-of-a-kind pieces.

Carvin hopes to alleviate this fear somewhat by embedding a small microchip in each of their guitars and basses that will uniquely identify each instrument. The technology comes from a company called Snagg, which offers the chips to manufacturers. Snagg maintains a registry of the ID numbers, and instrument owners can register on their site. In the event your precious instrument should be stolen, you can report it on the Snagg web site as well. If the instrument is recovered, a quick scan will reveal the ID number, which law enforcement can then check against the Snagg database.

Pretty neat idea. I don't know if it will deter any thieves but it will make getting your stuff back from the police easier.
  2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I think these chips have been in Carvin basses for atleast 8 months. Nothing new, but a good idea none the less.
  3. I read that article yesterday. What i would like even better is a tracking device. :D
  4. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    or an ON*STAR for bass :)

"Sir we've located your bass and are beating the thief within an inch of his life with it"
  5. can you buy them direct from "snagg"?
    i'm sure a few people here would throw them into some of their customs.
  6. lol Exactly!
  7. tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    doesn't LoJack require only a one-time fee as opposed to a monthly fee?

if you have an active bass, i supposed you can put a little pinging transmitter in the cavity. that way any time a 9V battery is plugged in the tranmitter will ping... then you can locate your bass on your own and call in the cops. i'm sure the FCC would love all kinds of unlicensed trasmitters floating around...
  8. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    "The bass Lojack"

weighs 25 pounds, made in Mexico $20 a month, offer may very greatly per dealer.
  9. You are correct sir. Carvin just issued a press release about these chips; they must be hungry for publicity, becausae SNAGG is old news by now.

I'm a Carvin guy, and I can think of a lot of reasons to buy a Carvin bass, but the SNAGG chip ain't one of them.
  10. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    On second thought they should add a security feature like cars have. When the thief breaks in without unlocking a code, they can't turn on the engine. Something like this could be applied to the bass:

When an unauthorized person uses your bass:

1) All the strings break
    2) The neck goes into "fat-man-on-a-diving-board" back-bow
    3) The bass only lets the thief play "Ice Ice Baby"
    4) The electronics short out

Feel free to add more.. *lol*
  11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I don't get it. How does this enhance security? This is really no different from a serial number, is it? You can't track this device like a LoJack.
  12. Budget minded bassplayers might get more milage out of "The Club" for Bass. It's essentially a locking capo that mutes all strings, rendering the instrument unplayable. Oh, and please send royalty cheques to my home address. :D
  13. [​IMG]
  14. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Every instrument I've owned has had an ID - one that didn't require a scanner, only your eyes. I guess the advantage here is that the company is maintaining a database. But this will only be effective if they can get law enforcement to a) buy their scanners and b) use them.
  15. I'll take fifty of them!!
  16. i'm not sure i'm right, but i'ma ssumign that these tags are RFID tags, which means that they could be scanned and tracked from range. They're thinking of putting these in clothing, but lot of people have issues with these kinds of tags because it would allow people to track wherever you go. Might be good for finding your bass if it was stolen, but it could potentially be used to spy on you. Eh, might not be RFID, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.
  17. so it is RFID after all! Watch your backs, folks! :ninja:
  18. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    A little clarification here.

These are RFID tags. They are passive (non-powered) devices, that, when read by a scanner in close proximity, "echo back" a unique ID number to the scanner. These are not devices that can be used to track the location of the object (or person!!) that they are attached to.
  19. yeah, but the problem is, that as these little tags get more and more widespread, the scanners will also be more widespread. So theoretically if they start putting RFIDs in most clothes, everyone in the mall could know excatly when you set foot in the parking lot, and which stores you go into, etcetcetc. I guess it's probably not much of an issue with basses, but theoretically i could set up a system anywhere that would be able to tell me if a new carvin is in the area....yeah, not that useful, but it's a slippery slope. If people accept these tags in some things, they might be more willing to accept them in other things. Do you want everything you buy to be tracked whenever you go out in public? Actually i'm not sure i even agree with some of my arguments, cuz some seem overly paranoid, but maybe not. At the rate we're going, it'll be just like 1984 in a few decades...
  20. that'd be SO useful though. You'd know how much clothing the person around the corner is wearing, which, could be...