Carvin is back baby!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BIGEJ2, Jan 23, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    That’s cool but I already have too much ampeg gear.

2. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    Carvin & Kiesel need to hire better product designers to survive. I find their products extremely aesthetically unpleasing.

Road Hat and alaskaleftybass like this.
  3. pigpen1

pigpen1 Guest

Aug 2, 2017
    What makes their basses only "adequate"? Never played one, but thought about ordering.

4. pigpen1

pigpen1 Guest

Aug 2, 2017
    Basses too? Different company though from what I understand.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I don't recall mentioning overseas manufacturers for Carvin. But if that happens it would be very similar to Peavey.

lbbc and alaskaleftybass like this.
  6. I will say this about Carvin's warranty follow up....in my case anyway.

My B5 started cutting out. I thought maybe the preamp was going bad. I had owned it for about two years or so when this happened. I called and asked if they had any suggestions on things I could check to see if it fixed the problem. The guy said it was still under warranty. Sent me a new preamp. The problem turned out to be that one of the battery terminals had bent and wasnt making contact. So now I have an extra preamp sitting around. They took good care of me.

BnB

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  7. This.

I wish I could remember where I saw the link, but I'm sure it was here on TB. There was a link to a blog video of Jeff Kiesel from a few months back when all of this got going, explaining how all of this came about. I got the impression that the two sides of the family didnt necessarily get along and that his uncle was just basically ready to call it quits. He mentioned in the vid that Uncle Carson hadnt even yet seen the new manufacturing facility that the guitar side had been using for a long time.

I'll bet it would be up on their Facebook presence. I had the impression that the video was released sometime within a few days of the announcement of the closing of the Carvin side of the biz.

BnB

8. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    That's also the guitar side of the business. This thread is about the other side.

9. Yup! It seems there truly is no such thing as bad press.
    TV commercials excel at this.
    They would rather you remember a product for it's obnoxious ad campaign than to forget that they had a good product.
    It's all about how many people are talking about it around the water cooler the next day.
    7+ pages so far and the boss hasn't yelled at us to get back to work.

10. MobileHolmes and S-Bigbottom like this.
  11. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    If you've gotten a Carvin catalog or visited their website since 2005 or so, you'll see Steve Vai all over the amps section.

dec05-vg-vai-large.jpg

12. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    I disagree but this isn't what this thread is about. Kiesel is no longer Carvin. Kiesel has some great innovation on design while also keeping some classic designs as well. I can understand their designs not being for everyone, my Kiesel bass is one of the most comfortable and tightest sounding basses I've ever layed hands on and I've had access from vintage to major boutique.

pcake likes this.
  13. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    I'm guesing you don't own a business. Firstly, you can file for bankruptcy as an individual or as a business. So, even if Carvin did file for bankruptcy (which seems disputed) then nobody at Carvin would be bankrupt themselves. Secondly, if you disqualified anyone who ever had one of their businesses or themselves go bankrupt from owning another business you'd likely not have over half of the massive, successful, high-street brands we have today.

How many peoples first try at anything is successful? I'm so pleased my first, second and third bands folded so I could learn lessons, make smarter choices and find a great band this time around.

14. May be, but this does explain things a little bit about what went on.

Found it...gets into the split etc around seven minutes..

BnB

cheechi likes this.
  15. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    It was a vendor. I got the name put of UPS when one of the speakers I ordered got lost. They just shipped another.

alaskaleftybass and hopwheels like this.
  16. Boom762

Boom762 I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Alpine, TX
    My favorite bass is a Carvin bass kit 5 string made by a user from here. Glad to hear Carvin isn't just Kiesle anymore.

17. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Lets see if they can get it right this time...from a business sense that is.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

If you decide to just roll up your carpet and legally close a corporation, that’s usually the end of it. Somebody might decide to come after you arguing that some kind of contract breach took place. But the likelihood of that happening is slight. And the likelihood of a successful lawsuit against a closed company is minute. I’ve never read Carvin’s warranty. But I’d be very surprised if there wasn’t some wording in there that said it was subject to change without notice. With that you could formally change all your warranties to 30 days following date of purchase, wait a few weeks, and probably be completely off the hook. Many times a company will get someone else to take over existing warranties. But they’re not required to. And if they lack the funds to have somebody take it on, you’re SOL. I’m not speaking as a lawyer here. Laws may be laws. But I’ve seen this scenario play out in the tech industry many times and that’s how it usually goes down in the end. If you own a product that’s been orphaned due to its parent company going out of business, then best just enjoy using it till it breaks. Then move on with your life.

PaulJSmith likes this.
  19. And really, even that's not necessary. There's nothing functional in any Carvin amp or speaker cabinet that, if broken, cannot be replaced by any competent electronics technician. It's electronics. It's repairable. If a cap blows or a resistor burns up in an old Marshall or Fender amp, a local technician will pull one out of his stock and replace it. Same for any Carvin amp. They don't magically turn into a pumpkin because the manufacturer went out of business.

20. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Guest

Oct 1, 2011
    it’s different because internet political jibber jabber is a mega-vortex poostorm we all hate and come to tb to avoid.

We don’t let that foul beast into our sanctuary.

BlueTalon and BadExample like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.