1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin J99 Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Vic Winters, May 9, 2006.

1. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    On Carvin's site it says the J99's are designed for 4, 5 and 6 string basses with an effective string spacing width of 3.3". Does that mean the blades are 3.3" long?

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I just measured my J99s. Using a tape measure and not being terribly precise about it, I measured 3 3/4" overall so it looks like 3.3 for the blade length should be about right. Call Carvin to be exact. They're pretty good about that.

They use them on their 6 strings but they may have a closer string spacing than some. I don't know as I don't play a 6.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Now that I think about it, it would be more than 3.3" to be certain of no dropoff on the outside strings. There's room in there for more blade length.

4. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    The blades in the EMG Selects on my Squire 5 string are 2.9" and I need something a bit wider because the string spacing is huge and I lose volume on the B or G depending on where I have the pickup.

What's your opinion on the J99's?

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The J99s sound like a modern version of a jazz pickup. Quite hot. They sound like they're overwound a bit. Lots of bottom and top. I like them a lot in my Carvin BK4.

I find them to be nice and punchy. A lot of life to the sound.