1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin J99A

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bohemond, Oct 8, 2009.

1. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    Has anyone played the Carvins New J99A single coils? I couldnt find any previous posts concerning them or with some kind of review/ Thinking about buying a Carvin with either these or the H50s. Thanks ..

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It's probably too soon for anyone here to have tried them. I had a Carvin Bolt 4 that I put together with the old J99s and they were great sounding J style pickups. More aggressive than a Fender but still very musical. I liked them a lot. I never should have sold that bass. It was much better than anything I could find from Fender. I imagine the new J99As will be just as good or better.

The humbucking Carvin J style pickups sound good too but I prefer the single coils.

3. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    Thanks much 62 for the info. I'm torn between those and the humbuckers/

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The single coils are prone to picking up noise, but all single coils do. Even good shielding, which my Carvin had, doesn't stop it all. Of course, if you blend both pickups at the same level the noise will cancel out, but I never used that sound.

The Carvin is no more noise prone than any other single coil. If you're going to do a lot of critical recording with it that might be a factor. Going with the H50 solves the noise problem but it will sound different.

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    If you're referring to the H50N stacked humbuckers, just keep in mind that they absolutely require a preamp, because run in passive mode, they are weak, weak, weak! :eek:

MM

6. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I found that the H50N's are quieter than some pickups and louder than others. I have the onboard preamp, but don't boost much of anything.

Anyway, the H50N's were replaced by the H50S. And those have been replaced by the H50A's. I put them in my ten year old Carvin, and it was a little better all around.

Now about the J99A's: They have been available in Carvin's new basses and as replacement parts for a month or so. A few folks on the Carvin BBS have tried them and liked them. I haven't heard any bad reports yet.

7. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    Carvin says in their catalog the H50's have %30 less output. so you recommend a pre?

8. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    That's the new H50A's they're referring to. I was surprised to read that. 30% is a lot!

But they're still louder and punchier than the H50N's. Whether you need a preamp is personal preference, I suppose.

Maybe the J99A's are just extra hot.

9. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

10. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I don't want to come across as a Carvin expert but I have owned a few of their basses over the years and the Carvin store is now 5 minutes from my house so I've tried out all their bass gear, including the new model basses B40/B50 and SB4000/SB5000 and the new J style pickups.

Here's my take on things:

The humbuckers are very clean and clear sounding. Some will call them sterile and some will love how they sit in the mix. But aggressive or highly colored they are not.

The J-style PUs are nice. Not the best J's I've played but good. I haven't directly A/B'd them but I didn't hear a ton of difference between the new ones and the old ones though (at least on the basses I tried vs my old LB70) I liked them better

The HB Musicman style pickups are solid. I've got one Carvin now (a B4) and it was built with dual HBs, something I guess they don't do that often.

Something I learned is that I think most of the dislike of Carvin electronics has more do with their preamp than their pickups. I liked my B4 with the dual MM pickups but I wasn't blown away. So I swapped the electronics for an Aguilar OPB-3 and SD Basslines. It was like a whole new bass. Then, out of curiosity, I put the Carvin PUs back in. Wow. Huge difference with the Aggie pre. I still slightly prefer the Seymour Duncans (and had to route a bit to get them to fit anyway) so I put them back in, but swapping the preamp made all the difference in the world.

Hope that helps.

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I've used only the earlier version, the H50N - not the H50A or H50S. But I ran that thing without a preamp, and it was puny. Yeah, definitely get a preamp... :meh:

MM

12. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    I love the tone of those pickups right at 4:3o of the video. That what he calls trombone tone, and also at the end with the upright tone. That sounded great. But that clean sterile jazz sound in the beginning is not what I care for at all.

13. BOTTOMBOOMER

BOTTOMBOOMER

Nov 10, 2002
    Las Vegas
    I have a '97 LB-70 that came with H50N's. I changed out the neck pickup to the older J99 and the difference was stunning. It gave a much stronger, warmer, rounder tone and I always play my LB-70 passive (should have gotten an LB-20). Anyway, if the new 'A' model is anythng like the J99, it's a great swap.:D