Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin kits...anyone made one?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nunk6, Dec 7, 2000.

1. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    carvin offers a bass kit which includes all the parts needed to assemble a bass;
    has anyone done this?
    i'm interested in how they sound and also wondering whether to get passive or active electronics, and whether or not to pay the extra $40 for a swamp ash body

2. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    thanks
    yea see i'm in a bad postition; i'm looking to get an active 'jazz' bass and with bass kits you can never be sure how theyll sound; and especially with carvin seeing how i've never heard a carvin and dont know what the sound is comparable to(if anything)
    the worst part is the money for this will be coming from me selling some pedals and my basses!!!!
    help!

3. I have built a carvin kit like you are talking about when I was 14 years old (3 years ago). Aside from my crappy finish it turned out great. I built the 4-string one with no options and it sounds and plays better than any bass I have ever played. It has a really punchy funky tone and you can get the action really low without fret buzz and it went together in a weekend. As for the swamp ash body, it's not worth it unless you really like the ash grain pattern. I recently built an ash guitar(not bass) without a kit and its really heavy and pretty small. You can see my guitar at
    http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/harrison/1108

4. Excellent "made from scratch" guitar. I admire the fact that you went for an innovative shape rather than another "double cutaway".

How's it play and sound?
    What are the componants?
    How much did it cost you to make?

5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I built a great semi-hollow 5-string fretless from Carvin parts. I didn't buy the kit, but I bought an alder body blank, neck with uncarved headstock, Hipshot bridge, string ferrules, neck plate and screws and straplocks. I got the rest of the parts from Stewart-McDonald. My bass turned out great! I love my Carvin neck. I also own an older Carvin which is active, but I prefer passive. I would get the single coil pickups over the stacks. The stacks are OK, but have a rather wimpy sound. I've read that the single-coils are better.