Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin LB70 4-str w/ EMG J p-ups, gorgeous blue flamed maple, abalone block markers!!

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by TimBosby, May 16, 2005.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    The time has come for me to part with my dear Carvin. This bass is plenty dinged and scratched up but it is still gorgeous. The bass has definitely seen some use but it is amazingly beautiful. There are a couple paint chips (one larger, the others all small) that I fixed with blue permanent marker and blue nail polish fills. The back of the bass has numerous finish scratches and dot like markings. None of this is really visible unless you tilt it under bright light. I have it waxed and buff to a sheen that is almost blinding. The gold finish on the tuning knobs is a teeny bit worn in places but the bridge and knobs are flawless...all these things are only noticeable upon inspection...not anything that affects playing. The frets are in perfect shape and the ebony fretboard is awesome. I am the biggest freak about dings and marks and these things don't even bother me..in fact, I truly think they give it character.

The guy who first owned this bass chose the flamed maple top with that gorgeous sapphire blue translucent finish and iradescent abalone shell block inlays on the ebony fretboard, along with gold hardware. Then for some reason, he took out the stock Carvin pickups and rewired the whole bass with active EMG J-pickups. The EMGs don't fit in the old pickup holes completely so you can see into the bass a little, including a little bit of wire, which I think is actually kind of cool. It is only noticeable up close as you can see in the last couple pics. There were some holes in the bass where it was drilled into to be rewired and the previous owner put black plastic caps over them--which you can't even really tell were not supposed to be there if you look at the pictures.

The EMGs give the instrument not only character, but a tone unlike any I have heard from a Carvin. Fat low end and clear high end. Not a lot of brightness but this is not a slapper's bass. It is plenty loud and cuts through the mix just fine. I am getting a lump in my throat as I type this at the thought of giving this beauty up. I'll throw in a blue Planet Wave strap with built in straplocks that somewhat matches the bass (they're both blue anyway) and it of course comes with a Carvin padded tolex hard case that is in very good condition.

This bass has sentimental value to me. It was over $1000 new so I am going to ask for $500 + $25 shipping in the U.S.--don't know about international shipping. I just closed a deal on a Tobias so the Carvin needs to go to help fund that.

Pics below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

E-mail me at tim@killbosby.com with any questions or if you would like to make an offer. If this does not sell here, off to Ebay it goes!

Peace,
    -Tim

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    pics aren't working for me. Sounds sweet though

3. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Professionally set up. Only $525 shipped.