Carvin LB70 and Humbucker Pickup Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Domino, Dec 5, 2000.

1. Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    I am going to order a Carvin LB70 bass guitar and I don't know much about my pickup options. I can do the following:

1. Replace J99 single coil with H50N stacked humbuckers
    2. Replace J99 neck pickup with HB series bridge humbucker and coil splitter

What are the pros and cons of doing either of these?
  2. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    theres two reasons to do this. fact - single coils are noisy. usually when played alone. most manufacturers wire their single coil pickups in a manner that when both are cranked they cancel each other out and run quiet. when using a humbuckers you can run that pickup alone quietly. and usually also get a meaty tone, i'd say the bridge humbucker is a great idea if you enjoy that thick meaty honky tone of a bridge pickup like i do (what most refer to as modern flea tone.) and can still sound pretty good with both running for slap tone. it all really depends on your preference of sound and what you are wanting to play with your instrument. i dont know much about carvins systems and am going by my limited experience with my single coil basses and my onw split coil 5 string and how they differ. the 5 string on the bridge pickup running parrelel is meaty. ultra quiet and rockin. while i prefer running em in single coil on both for slap. to each his own really...