1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin LB70 J pickups - buzz from hell

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ccsfuse77, Apr 28, 2010.

1. ccsfuse77

ccsfuse77

Dec 21, 2006
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Eden Bass Amplification
    I've owned a Carvin LB70 fretless for around 10 years now. It is a great bass, koa body w/ maple stripes, ebony fingerboard, etc. The only thing is it buzzes so bad that I haven't used it on a gig in a few years. It has single coil J pickups and I know the deal w/ single coil buzz, but this is really bad. Multiple shops that I trust in town have said thats all it is. Shielding/grounding is all apparently fine..Anyone tried the Carvin noiseless jbass pickups? or any suggestions? the bass itself is really nice and I'd love to have it as an option again.

2. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    When both pickups are full on , does it still buzzes ?

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I have a couple of LB70s, one fretted, the other fretless. Each of them has the Carvin single-coil J pickups. I've noticed practically no noise from them whatsoever. Of course, I've rarely if ever played under fluorescent lights or near any major sources of RF interference, so that may a factor.

Generally, Carvin basses are extremely well shielded and grounded, so that's unlikely to be the culprit. I've played a pair of the earlier-generation Carvin stacked humbucker pickups (the ones in the single-coil form factor), and they were kind of mediocre. Very weak in passive mode, much better with an onboard preamp. I haven't tried any of the more recent models.

Unless you just really love the Carvin single-coils (and they're not bad - better than I expected really), I would suggest that you try a pair of premium aftermarket pickups - there are many to choose from.

MM

4. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    It's hard to know how buzzy is TOO buzzy but I will say there are a ton of replacement options that remove all the buzz.

You can get noiseless pickups from just about every company. The problem for me is they don't sound as good. I usually run both J's full and never had an issue. I suppose if you favor one over the other it could be bad but mine just aren't as noticeable.

FYI - I have a DJ4 with the stock pickups and a Fender J that I routed to put Nordstrand big singles into and both sound really good.

My opinion would be to find a better passive pickup and just change out both. Obviously this may are may not change the buzzing IYO.

5. ccsfuse77

ccsfuse77

Dec 21, 2006
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Eden Bass Amplification
    Yes, the buzzing stops when both pickups are on. Problem is, I only like using my bridge pickup....And I agree that the noiseless pickups dont sound as good. Had Nordstrands in my Jbass which did just fine, but did not sound as good as the EMG pickups that the bass came with.