1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin LB70 pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassbum, Jul 18, 2012.

1. I have a 90's LB70. I bought it used. ls there any way that I can tell what pickups are on it? I assume they are either the J99's or H50's. How do I tell which is which?

2. The J99's came out in 1999. Here is a link to some historical info that may help with the ID.
    infohttp://www.carvinmuseum.com/whatmodelbass.html

3. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    This page may help you figure it out. if it is before 92 they are probably H50B humbuckers, after 92 they are probably H50N humbuckers.
    The J99 single coils came out in 99

4. Since I got the bass used in '99 then am I right in assuming the it has H50's? Also would I get a more vintage sound if I switched them to J99's

5. Impossible to say if you got it used. If it's older than 99, then you likely do not have them.

Does yours have a preamp in it?

6. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Did you look at the link? It's all explained about halfway down. H50B has plain black covers, H50N has a "Carvin" logo added, J99 has "Carvin" logo preceded by a black dot.

/rick

7. Mine does have the 2 band preamp. The pickups do have the Carvin logo on them and not a black dot so they must be the H50N's.

8. The J99's go particularly well with the SB5000 preamp. I would highly advise stepping up to that as well. Lots of tonal variation there...

9. I bought a used LB70 a few weeks ago and wanted to know the specs, so I emailed Carvin with the serial #. They got back the next day with every option that went into it.