Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin LB70

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThomasL, Aug 11, 2001.

1. ThomasL

ThomasL

Aug 11, 2001
    Oslo, Norway
    hey.

what do you guys think of this model?

Thomas

2. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I owned one for about 3 yrs and it was a very nice instrument. Carvins, IMO, have one of the best shaped necks and string spacing in the industry. It was well balanced, produced a variety of tones and the action and set up were very good.

It's weakness, IMO, was it's signal output. It probably could have been corrected with new pick ups but I sold it before I got to that point. Overall, if you are considering buying a new instrument, it would be difficult to find a better value from another manufacturer at the same price.

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    A supreme bargain when buying used!
    Good basses.
    m

4. ThomasL

ThomasL

Aug 11, 2001
    Oslo, Norway
    yeah, the pickups aren't of the best quality. the model I'm looking at only has two single coils I think. I think Carvin supplies them with two humbuckers or something when purchased from their store. or atleast it's optional.

I really liked the sound I got through it, the controls are good, nice slap sound. oh yeah, I'm gettin this one.

Thomas

5. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    How much will it cost you? Guess that doesn't really matter now though, does it...
    They can change pickups for you if that becomes necessary, but if it has the J99 single coils in it, it should be fine.
    Their previous H50 Humbuckers look like single coils though, because they're stacked...it might be hard to tell from looking... stand under a fluorescent light with only one pickup on, & you;ll know whether it's single coil or not...
    They've got lots of pickup options, but somewhere down the line you might want to drop in some nice replacement bartolini's or something.
    Let us know how it turns out.

6. ThomasL

ThomasL

Aug 11, 2001
    Oslo, Norway
    It will cost me 4000 norwegian kroner, which is about 500$. but Norwegian instrument prices are higher then abroad. I would save money from actually buying a bass in the states then here...oh well. it's really good value for the money, it's compared to basses in the 12 000 norwegian kroner price class...which is waaay to high for me.
    I'm gettin it tuesday. I'll deliver a report when I have tried it out properly :)

7. ThomasL

ThomasL

Aug 11, 2001
    Oslo, Norway
    ok, tried it out now. got a little fretbuzz on some parts on the e-string, but easily fixed. the color is something like a lightbrown sparkling thing, it looks like nail polish. looks a bit nasty, but some thinks it's cool. it's a kind of a thin neck so I get around easily. like the sound, haven't tried it out on my Yamaha amp yet. tried it on a Hartke 60W bass amp, sounded great. tried to record with it, experienced some problems there. might not be the bass at all, just got to get used to it. it's a bit of a change from the squire to this, that's for sure.

so I'm pleased with the purchase of this used bass. great quality for such a price.

Thomas