Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin LB75 or B5 owners...tone question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Dec 18, 2003.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Question for any B5 or LB75 owners regarding tone. For those that own one of the above basses with the MM humbucker at bridge and Jazz at neck...what is the tone like at a 50/50 setting? Do you still get the MM type guttural growl with the Jazz pickup on? I'm going to put a MM type at the bridge on my Jazz copy and I'm wanting to know how much of the MM type tone I'll retain when using the 50/50 setting. Also is there much hum from the neck single coil in the 50/50 setting? Any opinions are greatly appreciated.
    Thx,
    -Bazz-

2. You wouldn't have had to bump your own thread if you had posted it on the Carvin discussion board. You'd have had at least a half-dozen replies by now. Sorry, I don't play a Carvin so I can't help you.

3. I have a BB-76 with those pups. I find that at 50/50 it's the least interesting tone on the bass. When I dial it toward the neck, there's this great midrange punch, ala Geddy, but when I dial it back toward the bridge the lows and highs become really pronounced. I switch between 75/25 and 25/75 routinely, but never 100/0, 0/100 or 50/50.

4. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    cool! Thanks for the input.
    -bazz-

5. ps. the neck is a humbucking single-coil, so it's super quiet.

6. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    The J99 single-coil p'ups are not very noisy, as far as single-coils go. If you have the HB and J99 combination, then about the only way you'll hear any noise from the J99 is if you have it soloed, or have the blend pot turned mostly to the J99. I don't have that pickup combination. But I've tried them in Carvin stores. I wasby myself in a little iso-booth with florescent lighting and I could hear some single-coil buzz, but even then it wasn't bad.

Sorry, I haven't tried a Music Man bass in ages, so I can't help you with comparisons to that.

I play all my Carvins with the pickup blend control in the center detent most of the time. That's just the way I've always done it. Works for me.

My basses and pickup layouts:

[​IMG]
    LB70 with two H13B stacked humbuckers (from before the H50N replaced them).

[​IMG]
    BB70WP with two HB4 (MM-style) pickups plus the piezo bridge

[​IMG]
    BB75P with HB5W (MM-style) and H50N stacked humbucker plus piezos in the bridge.

[​IMG]
    B4F with two J99 single-coils.

Sorry. Any excuse to post pics, ya know? :D

Try posting you questions on the Carvin BBS Bass Guitars forum and you'll probably get more answers.

7. Mike (mgood):

Any idea if there will be a 35" or 35 1/4" scale Bunny Brunel in the future?* Are you at liberty to discuss this, or are you sworn to secrecy?

*I realize they can't move the bridge back enough, so Carvin would have to do a new body.

8. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I doubt it. I've heard that Bunny is not a fan of extended-scale basses. TK65, who runs the Carvin Bass Museum tried to get them to whip one up for him. If they'd do it for anyone (non-celebrity endorser), they'd probably do it for him. I understand that the idea was kicked around and they eventually said "no."

They don't "swear me to secrecy" on much.:rolleyes: I can keep a secret just about long enough to see if it comes out in the next catalog. If not, then I start asking about it on the public forums. I have actually seen one of the new bass cabs that's supposed to be in the January catalog. When I was in San Diego, Doc pointed it out and said "you didn't see that either," then went on to describe it in some detail. But it's become more-or-less public knowledge that they are coming out with a new line of high-end cabs, so it's not secret anymore.

9. That's disappointing to hear (about the BB) but thanks for your response, Mike.

Yeah, the high-end cab thing is no big secret any more.

10. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Yeah, well . . . I much prefer the BB body myself. But I may have to add one XB75 to the collection one of these days.

I'm thinking XB75AP. "A" for anniversary series that has the three-piece body sides with alder back, 1/8" walnut center, and 1/2" flamed maple top, with the five-piece maple/walnut neck. "P" for P-Series with the piezo bridge.
    Substitute quilted maple for the flame. And get the "No-show" top so that the quilted maple covers the entire top rather than having the neck show through.
    Matching quilted maple headstock overlay.
    Clear gloss finish.
    Ebony fretboard with no inlays.
    Wider, asymetrical neck (like on the BB75).
    HB5W and J99.
    Black hardware.
    Dunlop Straploks.

11. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Mike, that blue fretless of yours makes me think of jumping into a swimming pool in August! A nice thought on a cold day!!

12. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I was hoping for the "swimming pool" look when I ordered translucent blue over quilted maple. What I got was exactly what I wanted. I'm impressed. And it loves the camera, lol. Just sitting in the room, it looks blue, with sorta some wavy stuff going on there. But when bright light hits it, it comes alive. The flash from the camera brings it all out.

[​IMG]

This thing sounds incredible too. It has swamp ash body with quilted maple top, maple bolt-on neck with ebony fingerboard, and standard J99 single-coil pickups with optional (on this model) active/passive electronics. MWAH!