1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin LB75 String Spacing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Nov 13, 2017.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hey all,

I also posted this on the Carvin Museum, but have not received a response. I have a 2000 LB75 that could use a new bridge (it's become quite corroded over the years). I've been trying to determine string spacing (my measuring is not quite accurate). I've read everything from 16mm to 16.5mm to 17mm. It appears Hipshot doesn't make a B style bridge any smaller than 17mm. I don't know if Hipshot made a special proprietary bridge for Carvin or not.

Could someone give me some accurate information? Much appreciated!

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  3. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    The spacing on my 1990 LB75 can be adjusted, not sure exactly how much, but maybe +/- 0.5 mm, (16.5 -17.5 mm, if I'm not mistaken, maybe 16 - 17 mm...). I was just looking at a Hipshot bridge that had the same spacing/adjustment as my stock bridge (possibly a Schaller), which weighs close to a pound. It seemed like it would be a perfect replacement.

4. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    When I replaced the bridge on my ‘91 LB75, I used the HA5C Hipshot A-Style Bridge, 5 String Narrow, Chrome.

Perfect match for the spacing, but the footprint was a bit smaller, so some unfaded wood was visible afterwards. It was a great upgrade compared to the rattling OE crap bridge it came with.

5. Bad azz tone

Bad azz tone

Sep 21, 2017
    Michigan
    My 91 LB75 came with a Willkinson bridge. Also has an ebony fb. This bridge allows alot of adjustment. When I purchased it I was told it was a special order,built by the Carvin guitar shop. Dont know if thats true or not. But i really like the bridge.

Goatrope likes this.
  6. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Wow! Glad it’s working for you. Mine had Koa body wings, with a maple neck through. Had the ebony fingerboard, too.

My bridge hardware was always coming loose. Finally one of the string ball-end holders just broke off one day. That’s when I replaced it.

7. Bad azz tone

Bad azz tone

Sep 21, 2017
    Michigan
    After viewing this thread today I googled up Wilkinson bass bridges, I don' believe they make these any more,at least I didn't see any on their site. Did you like the bass?

8. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    I did like it. It was very well made. Excellent workmanship, and the action could be as low as I ever wanted. I got a bit tired of the pickups, and had moved on to a StingRay by ‘97. I finally sold the LB75 about 2 years ago. It just wasn’t getting played and was too nice to leave on a wall.

9. Bad azz tone

Bad azz tone

Sep 21, 2017
    Michigan
    I've been very pleased with mine. With the ebony and La Bella flats it play's very well. I run it through an SVT AND 2 4X10 HLNs. With compressor and 31 band eq, you can get pretty much any sound you could want. My 62 P bass has the same style neck,flat and wide so transition was easy, except for learning that the top string was B not E and that took a lot of concentration and sometimes still doesLOL.:laugh:

Goatrope likes this.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah 17mm (albeit adjustable on most bridges they used) was stock. And you could choose a wide (19mm) option as well.

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I had checked out Kiesel but I wasn't sure if the dimensions ever changed over the years. I know Carvin has changed string spacing on models over the past decade. I was hunting around for an old catalog on the Carvin Museum that may have had the information. *lol*

Thank you. I have the 19mm on my XB75 and it's fairly nice too. I think I prefer the narrower spacing, but I can generally get along with most any string spacing.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! I'm gonna get a Hipshot ordered. I think I'm going to try brass.