1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin LB75 - What to do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BaileyMan, Nov 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    I've got a '90 or '91 LB75 that I bought used in about '96. It was my main player for years. It's been on a little hiatus for awhile. I recently picked her up again, and it's been really great to play, but I think it's ready for the next round of mods. I'd love to hear your suggestions.

I put Bartolini pups and electronics in years ago. Wired with Vol p/p active/passive - bass/treble stack - mid p/p freq shift - blend. It sounds great, but passive has always bypassed the tone controls, which has always bugged the heck out of me. I've also been left with some unused holes in the body. I think I'd like to make another pup and/or pre-amp change. Thoughts on preamps? I've got 8 holes to fill in on the body and a jack plate with two outputs. I don't care about stereo outs, but like the idea of an onboard headphone amp like on the old LB80/85's.

It's also a bit heavy for me on longer gigs, weighing in at 10.2 lbs on the bathroom scale. I can save about a 1/2 pound by replacing the bridge and tuners with Hipshot, but it would be great to knock off another half pound or so.

Thoughts on preamps and weight reduction, short of selling it and buying a new bass?
    20160208_221112_HDR.

2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    You could easily wire in a passive tone control into an active preamp.
    I would move the output jack to the bottom (that’s where is was originally, right?) and install the passive tone pot in that hole. I would also try and get all matching knobs.

For the sake of filling in those 1/4” toggle switch holes, and this is only ME talking here, I would get mini toggles and move the A/P function and Mid frequency shift to those. I don’t remember if Bartolini preamps have options for 3 mid frequencies. If so, you can get a 3-way switch for that.
    I’m not sure what I would put in the third hole yet...maybe a series/parallel switch for the pickups (like a Jazz S1 switch).

3. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Or....if you want to change the pickups/preamp, I have been veri intrigued by the preamp (and pickups) in this bass:

Taurus : TM1/TM2

4. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    Yeah. Matching knobs would be great. I like the gold knobs, but at the time I couldn't find matching stacked gold knobs for the bass/treble stack. I like the idea of mid-frequency shift done via switch. Audere has that option. They've got a pre-amp for 7 holes, plus an LED battery indicator that I could put in the 8th hole.

If I keep the Bartolini pre-amp, I'd have to do some major (for me) re-wiring. I could do it, but it would be quite a project and not sure I want to mess with it. I'm kind of leaning towards a new pre-amp. That Elwood did sound pretty nice.