Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin LB75P vs Warwick for good slap/metal tone....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metalloid, Feb 4, 2001.

1. metalloid

metalloid Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2001
    DC
    I am a drummer and guitarist and I would like to start playing bass as my main instrument. I played bass in for a band whos bassist was overseas for the summer and I loved it.

Unfortunately the bass had defects and I returned it while it was still under warranty. Now I have $1800 saved up and want to get a really good rig.

I was sucked into the latest carvin catalog with the new P series and 50% off all options.

I have only heard good things about carvin's guitars, and would love to try one.

On the other hand, the fools at Guitar center fully reccommend the Warwick Corvette 5. I have seen some bands who play them, but I absolutely love Ryan of mudvayne's sound.

I am either going to go with a Carvin Redline or Hartke amp.

Any opinions?

Thanks-

Joe

2. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    I am fan of both companies. I have a warwick corvette 5 and it kicks ass. Never tried any carvin basses but they look sweet. I say you get the carvin and if you don't like how it plays of the sound or whatever, return it......

3. FunkmastaJ

FunkmastaJ

Feb 1, 2001
    Seattle WA
    First of all, dont listen to anybody at guitar center. I personally dont really like warwick 5 strings for slapping, the string spacing is WAY too narrow, especially for a beginner player. Also, warwicks are heavy as hell, something to consider if your a small person.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I haven't had the pleasure of using a Warwick. But the Carvin LB75 I got in Dec., (w/J99 & Alnico 5 humbucker/coil splitter pups), strung with roundwounds, will get that percussive "BINGGGG" all the way around the block, if that's what you want.

However, I don't slap all that much, so I would recommend one of their Bunny Brunel's with the wider spacing if you are slap happy.

As for the amps, I have the RL1018 w/ the 1000W head and the Cyclops with the 600W head. Since they have about as many knobs and switches as mission control, I find I can dial up about anything I need reasonably well.