Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin LB76 Fretless 6 w/Basslines and TI Flats

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Justyn, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Howdy all,

I've got a Hanewinckel on the way and it's time to sell off a few basses to offset the cost.

First up is my Carvin LB76F. Bought this from Jorg Schroeder a while back after hearing Steve Lawson and deciding I needed a fretless six now (little plug for Steve there, I just love his music). Since buying it I've done a tiny bit of work on it myself, oiling the fingerboard every so often with Tru-Oil and changing out the pickups. lHere are the specs:

Model: Carvin LB76F
    Neck: Maple, neck-through.
    Headstock: black (there's glare in the photo, but it's really black ith the Carvin logo in white)
    Fingerboard: Ebony, lined
    Body wings: Koa
    Bridge: Wilkinson, black w/chrome saddles.
    Tuners: Sperzel locking.
    Pickups: Seymour Duncan Basslines SJB-5 (neck and bridge)
    Electronics: Stock Carvin preamp, (older model) with Master Volume/Blend/Bass/Treble controls.

When I intially bought this bass I put a set of TI Jazz Flats on it and except for about a two-week period when I was trying out a set of DR Sunbeam nickel rounds and some TI Jazz rounds, the Jazz Flats have stayed on there, so fretboard is in great condition. There are some marks from roundwound use, but I'd call them 'marks' rather than 'grooves.'

The upgrade to the Basslines pickups really brought a lot of warmth and clarity to the tone of the bass, which I'd characterize as a bit dark on it's own.

Cosmetically, the bass is in excellent shape. There's some discoloration on the back of the neck down around first position from playing wear, but I'll see if I can't polish that out.

I'll put it on the scale this afternoon and post the weight, though I can tell you that it's fairly heavy. It balances well on a strap, but it's no featherweight.

I'm asking $525.00 shipped (in the lower 48, and I'm happy to work out shipping overseas) OBO. The bass will ship in a gig bag.

Let me know any and all questions, offers, etc., etc. More pictures will be up soon along with more basses. As I'll be using the funds to pay off the Hanewinckel I'm not able to take trades at this time.

Thanks much!
    J.

2. The SJB-5 was designed as a 5-string pickup. How well do they work on the Sixer? Is there good balance across all strings?

3. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    The SJB-5bs (both were bridge models in order to accommodate the Carvin routs, which are the same size for both neck and bridge pickups) were a perfect fit with regard to width for the Carvin 6. I had to rout the pickup cavities a touch deeper to accomodate the height of the pickups and still leave room for adjustment, but again, the width fit the existing cavity perfectly. I settled on the SJBs because they used a blade-type magnet instead of individual pole pieces. I figured that given that my choices were limited to 5 string models (assuming I didn't want to rout wider cavities, which I didn't) a blade-type magnet would offer more even response across all six strings. I'm not sure if my reasoning was right from a technical standpoint, but from a practical perspective it seems to have worked. I've been very pleased with the balance overall.

Hope that helps!
    J.

4. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Forgot to put this in the description. The nut is chipped right by the low 'B.' It's been that way since I bought the bass and I've never had any problems, but I completely spaced on mentioning it, so apologies for that.

Here's a picture. The chip is small enough that the string is still seated and the angled headstock keeps tension, so again, never had a problem with it.

Thanks,
    J.

5. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Price reduced to $525 shipped OBO.

Thanks,
    J.

6. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Sold! One down, one to go. Someone give Barney a good home.
    -J.