Carvin LB76- How good is it really?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Luis Fabara, Feb 8, 2001.

1. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Hi, I got G.A.S. again and Im looking for a Carvin LB76W
    The Claro Walnut series.
    How good are Carvin Basses really?
    I feel that one of the most significant factors in a bass construction is the quality of the neck, the more rigid, the better. Fret height and action.

Please post all comments about the LB76, LB76A or LB76W
  2. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I bought a koa Carvin 6-string fretless with an oil finish about 12 years ago, and it played and sounded great. The neck was not quite as rigid as I would have liked, but they now put graphite reinforcement in their necks. I have a 5-string Carvin neck on my fretless, and it is very rigid and sounds great.

I referred to my Carvin 6-string in the past tense, because I modified it heavily. Because of carpal tunnel syndrome, I carved the neck down into a 4-string. It still looks and sounds great.
  3. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I swear, I love it when people bring up posts about Carvin. I have a LB70, I was looking for a good 2nd bass, seeing as my first was $250 at the local pawn and I had been playing on it for two years. I've had my LB70 for three years now, and I can say it kicks. It still plays like it did the day I got it on my front porch (with the occasional battery change) As far as the neck goes, it is as sturdy as I could ask, I really like the neck through body construction, it feels solid in my hands. Another thing, it is lightweight, but maintains tone quality. So I'm not luging around a cinder block around my neck.

4. They're Good. Really, Really Good.
  5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    And comparing to a Warwick Streamer LX6 ??
  6. Hmmm, Now I think that is a different Bass altogether.
    Different sound, Different neck, Different fret material
    Different pickups, Different fingerboard and Radius...
    very hard to compare with so few similarities.
  7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Neck RIGIDity, Fretwork,Action and Construction are my primary concerns.
  8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Ifabara -

Having played both of the basses you're talking about (at least if you're referring to the Warwick Streamer that has the wide/flat neck), there's no comparison. The Carvin is OK, the Warwick is easily the nicest Warwick I've ever put my hands on (I generally hate Warwicks, but this is one I'd own). Amazing bass, the one I was fortunate enough to play was built perfectly, the neck was wonderful - played itself, flawless fretwork, and was as rigid as any neck I've seen yet, short of all graphite.

If you prefer a bit wider string spacing at the bridge, you'll HATE the Carvins, and love this Warwick.
  9. For sixty (?) bucks you can get an aysymmetrical neck that is 1/4 inch wider at the 24th fret. That ought to solve your problem.
  10. Wait. Sorry. That was on the 5-string. I just looked and saw that there is no alternate neck on the six. My mistake.