Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin LB76/Piezo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 73jbass, Oct 14, 2004.

1. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I just got one of these at a very good price, and I just wanted some feedback from current and past owners.I particularly like the MM/J pickup combination. Seems to be pretty rare for a 6 string.Anyway,I'd like to hear from anyone with some experence with these basses. Thanks. ;)

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    A friend of mine has an LB75P and IMO it's a great bass except for the piezos.. I just don't like the over the top trebly sound from them... In conjunction with a MIDI controller they're great.. By themselves.. No thanks.. Other than that the bass (solid koa) sounds fantastic!!!!

3. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I like the piezos on my BB76P. They add another color to the mix, almost like an acoustic guitar with piezos.

I replaced the neck pickup with a Bill Lawrence J-45L, and the improvement in tone was significant. I highly recommend the J-45L for Carvin 5- and 6-string basses.

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I didn't like them and went so far as to take out the piezo bridge and install a regular one.

but clearly some people like them so give 'em a run.

BTW you can pan the control so the piezos aren't being used, so you don't need to replace the bridge like I did. I did it because I wanted to see if the regular bridge made a better break angle for the strings...but I didn't notice any difference so you may as well save your money.

5. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I have an LB75P currently and I love the piezos on it, gives me that extra little bit of zing when I need it.

I also have an XB75P on order, so they were worth the $100 upcharge to me.