1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin LB76/Piezo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 73jbass, Oct 14, 2004.

1. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I just got one of these at a very good price, and I just wanted some feedback from current and past owners.I particularly like the MM/J pickup combination. Seems to be pretty rare for a 6 string.Anyway,I'd like to hear from anyone with some experence with these basses. Thanks. ;)

2. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    A friend of mine has an LB75P and IMO it's a great bass except for the piezos.. I just don't like the over the top trebly sound from them... In conjunction with a MIDI controller they're great.. By themselves.. No thanks.. Other than that the bass (solid koa) sounds fantastic!!!!

3. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I like the piezos on my BB76P. They add another color to the mix, almost like an acoustic guitar with piezos.

I replaced the neck pickup with a Bill Lawrence J-45L, and the improvement in tone was significant. I highly recommend the J-45L for Carvin 5- and 6-string basses.

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I didn't like them and went so far as to take out the piezo bridge and install a regular one.

but clearly some people like them so give 'em a run.

BTW you can pan the control so the piezos aren't being used, so you don't need to replace the bridge like I did. I did it because I wanted to see if the regular bridge made a better break angle for the strings...but I didn't notice any difference so you may as well save your money.

5. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I have an LB75P currently and I love the piezos on it, gives me that extra little bit of zing when I need it.

I also have an XB75P on order, so they were worth the $100 upcharge to me.