1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin LB76 vs Ibanez SR506 - neck size?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NickCormier, Sep 23, 2010.

1. NickCormier

NickCormier

Dec 3, 2006
    Ok. Due to living up here in Eastern Canada, theres no sign of any Carvin LB76's around for me to try out. I own a BB75 and B5 (and had a LB75) so least in 5 string terms, I know I love Carvin quality over ibanez. (not to mention 3 guitars)

But 6 strings, My hands are somewhat small as it is, but more importantly, I LOVED the feel of the Ibanez SR506 which I played at a store. Unfortunately, I find them extremely ugly, uncomfortable, stale sounding and hate bolt ons, which is why I want all the things the LB76 can offer me.

Anyways, all that besides the point, I looked up neck sizes.. and was shocked to find.. Could the Carvin neck actually be SMALLER than the Ibanez one?

Both 34" scale

Ibanez width at nut = 54mm
    Carvin width at nut = 51mm

Ibanez width at 24th = 83mm
    Carvin width at 24th = 81mm

I dunno the thickness of the necks size, but if the LB76 is like the BB75/B5/LB75, it should be just perfect.

Weird?? Who would of thought the Ibanez neck is LARGER than the Carvin neck. That is really odd. I did play a XB76 afew years ago but it felt massive. hmm.

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    It's totally possible. Carvin and Ibanez make some of the most playable necks in the market, and Carvin's (iirc) has an assymetrical contour.

Also, don't forget that neck width is only a small portion of the battle - the thickness and contour is the one that gets most people.

3. GregDunn

GregDunn

Jan 8, 2009
    Yeah, I'd check the thickness against an Ibanez before getting too excited. That said, I've never even picked up a Carvin so I don't know what to expect. Let us know!