Carvin - Like or Dislike?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tony G, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Played them - Love Them!

141 vote(s)
  2. Played them - Hate Them...

14 vote(s)
  3. Played them - They are ok, but not my style...

81 vote(s)
  4. Never played one, but want one.

74 vote(s)
  5. Never played one, and not interested in one.

61 vote(s)
  1. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    I'm curious of the overall consensus here. Everybody is always talking about their custom stamies and the like, but I rarely hear about carvins. I own a LB75F and I think it plays like a dream. Everything about the way if feels, the neck, the finish, the construction, etc... It is one of the most solid basses I've ever played. I am really interested in Carvins new Icon line and am gassing hard for an IC6.

So whats the consensus here at TB? Carvin - Yay or nay? Please don't just vote and not leave a reason. I would like to hear all sides to the story.
  2. THUMPER73533

Feb 23, 2006
    hello, i've never played a carvin but i have friends that do and very pleased with them. i'm concidering the 4-string kit.
  3. britrit

Jan 22, 2006
    I've got an LB70, and I love it. Especially the neck, it's amazing.
  4. I love my Carvin. Very nice bass.
  5. I have played a carvin at GC and it is absolutely amazing. The humbucker is awesome, the neck was unreal, and the playability was just great. I instantly fell in love with carvins, and am now in the process of acquiring a LB76 from a fellow TB'er. I can't say enough good things about carvins. Don't take someone else's word; go out and play one.
  6. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I "built" the 4 string kit. Great playing neck, one of the best I've used. Very good jazz like sound with the J99 pickups. If they made a P model I'd buy another. Much higher quality than most higher priced US basses from the old time companies.
  7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I've never played one but I've seen a few mighty fine examples of them and they're certainly not something I would kick out of bed...their guitars are especially cool, I really dig the T-Mac 7 string.
  8. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    So far there is a lot of votes of people saying they have never played one, and are not interested in one, but haven't written why? I am curious to the reasons. Is it simply based on looks?
  9. I am a huge carvin fan. Ive owned two. and i currently own two. Ive never had any major problems other than the input jack( they use this silly two prong input as opposed to the standard one prong), but you can replace it quite easily. They have a great sound and an extremely playable neck. I have one off the floor and one thats a "custom" (extra-long scale, J99's, a double stacked Humbucker, individual Piezo Pickups, and it runs on 18-volt active electronics.....sweet!!!)

I know some people are scared off by the fact that they are a mainly mailorder company(you can find them used here and there, or at Basscentral in orlando). But for the price, the playability and life you can get out of them is intense!!
    I love carvin!!!
  10. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I had to move on from Carvin fretted basses. My LB75PF seems better construction-wise however. I don't mind the sound of stock Carvins at all, but the baa-rutal TR problems I had were a major disappointment. The bass came w/the side dots mismarked. The 7th fret was marked w/3 dots like the 12th fret was supposed to be, & the 12th fret marked w/1 dot. I hear people say their Carvin fretted basses are flawless w/low action, I just wonder why I couldn't get one as well. The manager said I have higher standards than most.
    So I ordered a Dingwall AB2-5.
  11. Same story here, just had my input jack replaced because it was shorting out, other than that no issues. Same story as above, very comfy bass, that's why it's one of my favs for 6 strings.
  12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006

Wow, that is crazy. I've never heard anything like this coming from carvin. I've only witness amazing build quality and top notch customer service through them. This is unheard of.
  13. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I love them! I had two B5 series basses (fretted and fretless), great basses!

Now I have a new Elite in the works. Should be nice with the specs I went with:

- 4 String
    - AAAAA Quilted Maple Top and Back
    - CTH Headstock with Quilted Maple on the front and back
    - 5 Piece Neck (Maple/Walnut)
    - H50S neck humbucker & HB2 bridge humbucking pickup & coil splitter
    - Birdseye Maple Fretboard

It should look something like the attached photo, except on the Elite the neck does not show.....the bad part now is the wait!

Attached Files:

14. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    Ok, know there is 10 people saying the never played and not interested. Why won't you people just take a few seconds to explain yourselves?
  15. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006

That is a damn sexy bass! Good luck with it!
  16. i've not played one but am not interested in one. i'm sure they are fine instruments, but the shapes of their models don't do much for me. as shallow as it may seem, i don't really want to play a bass the i don't like the aesthetic of.

but to each his own, ymmv and all that stuff
  17. B-flat?

May 16, 2004
    Portland, TX
    Would like to try an Icon 5 in walnut. :)
  18. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I have an LB76 I'm selling only to make room for my Joe Osborne GAS.

There is no way I wouldn't recommend these basses.
    The way they feel is just amazing. The body is very comfortable, the neck is the greatest thing about them - assymetrical and just silky.

If you have a chance to buy one at a good price, definitely give it a go.
  19. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    I've played a couple... just didn't like the vibe.
  20. I have a LB75F that is particularily good. I replaced their electronics and pick-ups with Seymour Duncans and it's quite nice!