1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin LS1501: Anybody using it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by John Bigboote, Mar 27, 2009.

1. The LS1503 has been getting a lot of great press on TB as an inexpensive, decent-quality, full-range cab. But I don't see anything about the LS1501. I'm looking for a 15" cab (since Dr. Bass hasn't worked out for me) to go under a 112, and this looks interesting on paper, but you don't see anyone singing its praises like they do for the LS1503. Thoughts?

-jb

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    It's a slimline subwoofer. Designed for 150 Hz and below. That's not to say it doesn't make output above 150 Hz, but that is not a priority. So in a bass guitar rig, it'll fatten things up. But run "full range" the results may not be what you had in mind. Or might. Looks like an incredible bargain for club PA though - and actually has enough internal space to allow a good 15 to really thump.

3. I can biamp through my rig, so I'm thinking that I'll get the mids and highs through the Avatar 112, then send the boom through the 115. OTOH, the 1503 looks very attractive for full-range use, and it's a smidge lighter (and not nearly as deep), but the other threads talk about cab resonance, and I can't imagine it goes as deep as this one. Oh, and it looks more efficient, too...

Too... many... options...

-jb

4. Sorry, Greenboy, but I'm not ready to let this one die yet. By "good 15" do you think it would eventually make a good home for a 3015LF? Carvin's site is woefully short on specs, particularly for their drivers...

Thanks,

-jb

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Yeah, when they still had T-S parameters up on their website, they eventuially got a couple generations out of date from the updated drivers they were loading many of their cabs with. But the LS1501 is essentially the same amount of cab volume as the RL115/BR115 bass cabs presented in a different form factor and should fit the Em 3015LF very well indeed.