1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin LSx1503; 3015LF ok?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GlennW, Sep 28, 2009.

1. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    or neither, just leave it alone?

I'm about 99% ready to get a LSx1503 and have searched, but it's easy to get lost in those mega-threads.

The cab will be mainly for a full range PA with drums and bass, but I might also use it as a BG cab.

I have a 3015 and a 3015LF and was wondering which, if either, would be worth putting in the LXs1503. Would the 3015LF be good in there?

I'd like to do that if it's a good idea and use the 3015 in a 115 cab by itself.

Thanks.

2. FWIW....My LS1503 sounded fine as a bass guitar cab with the stock speaker in 2007. After installing a 3015LF, I started having crossover problems (not related), so haven't used it on gigs since. I think greenboy,who's done much research, thinks the cab is better suited for the non LF version at this point. He'll probably chime in soon.

BTW, I'm not sure which 15" driver Carvin is using now. Back then, it was Eminence, but pics in their recent catalogs look like a different brand. It also seems like they used different components at different times. For instance, they sent me a replacement compression driver which was different than my stock one, which was in turn different than the ones that came in greenboy's and Supertanker's slightly earlier versions. Also, their's had a plywood midrange sub-enclosure box while mine had a round plastic cup type.

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I read some of your posts earlier. You seemed to like it a lot, but then it started messing with you. I saw where GB used a 3015 with a 6ND410 and was very pleased.

Carvin doesn't even show the LSx Series, but the items will come up if you put them in the search box. If it hadn't been for searching TB this morning and reading about people who had the LSx stuff I wouldn't know it was available.

4. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    FWIW, If you go to pro audio, then speakers, then select LS series, there they are.

5. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I just tried to order one, but there aren't any and they're not making any more.

The guy said something about a new model with N in the name, but it's cheaper because it has carpet and the "woods were changed" which I'm guessing means not as good. I might go fEarful...don't know, didn't really want to build anything.

6. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ebay has a bunch of LSX1523's left :)

7. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    They have one less now (LSx1503). Thanks a lot.

And the original question still stands; will a 3015LF be good in it?

8. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    lbwdog, was right that GB has stated that this cab is better suited to a non-LF 3015. IIRC, there were problems with bracing and other structural issues when using the LF model.

9. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    It has enough space to support it, but you really need to:

1) Add some bracing and check the lining
    2) Consider adding more standoffs and a deeper offset for the grill.

Just based on looking at it I would expect the grill to thwack with high excursion and possibly rattle. One thing you could do is remove the grill and order a custom pet screen grill from one of the sites doing that.

10. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Thanks for suggestions.

I don't want to get too far ahead of myself since I've neither seen nor heard one. I'm just happy to have found one, and really like the weight and size.

I'd like to stick the 3015LF in there because if I don't I'll end up selling it at a loss; and I was hoping to putting the 3015 by itself in a 5 cu ft box at some point (unsuitable for the LF). That way I'd have two decent cabs, one PA oriented and the other moreso for bass, and even two bass cabs if needed.

11. The answer is yes. Have been playing the LF equipped 1503 for nearly two years now, zero issues. I did lift the grill maybe 5 mm by putting in spacers.

12. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Thanks, MaHei.

13. I've got 2 of these, but haven't upgraded them (yet).
    BTW, the 1503s are on the carvin site under sales and specials. When they run out you'll only be able to get the ratfur ones. They're the same, just covered with ratfur.
    GlennW, did you change out the mids, horn, and crossover as well? Maybe if I replaced 1 with the 3015 and 1 with a 3015lf it would be a better matchup?

14. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I haven't changed anything, just ordered it yesterday. I don't want to change a lot of stuff on it, maybe the woofer (and braces) since I have one and possibly the the midrange with a 6ND410 (depending on how the factory stuff sounds). I have no desire to mess with the crosover. I'll probably leave it alone for a while and see how it does.

From what I've read here the best arrangement for two cabs is when they're the same cab using the same drivers (which are a good match for the cabs). I'd guess that a 3015 in one and the -LF in the other wouldn't be as good as two of the same, but I really don't know.

15. Sorry, was meant for MaHei. They sound fine with stock speakers, but I would like to try out the 3015lf speakers too. Please update your experiences after you perform the mod. I read the old 1503 thread too and don't wish to navigate it again anytime soon. Also I'm not sure I understand how to rebrace the cab so a bit reluctant to do it.

16. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Not having seen the inside of it, the easiest way to add bracing to a cabinet and get it to actually ad stiffness (that I've seen) is to (start with):

-measure a piece of wood about 1/8" to 1/4" wider than the internal distance between the sides and front of the cabinet

-measure two to three others around 1/16" longer than the internal depth of the cabinet

-remove the speakers and side handles

-place a cross brace underneath the handles

-place two to three front to back braces around the speaker cutout (possibly cut one down to brace the midrange chamber)

The little bit of extra length will ensure they fit snugly and are adding rigidity. Someone might have some better advice but this has worked for me in the past. It's often very challenging to get into a cab to add bracing, even with the speaker cutout, so putting in spine braces and such like that can be impractical.

You can use a brad nailer to attach them from the outside, or put in some scrap to screw and glue the braces to, or probably just glue them in with PL Premium or something.

Caveat: I haven't seen the inside of an LSX1503 so it's tough to say for sure.

17. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Exactly. Nor have you probably played through one. This bracing yap is nuts at this point. A lot of this other conjecture is predicated on a couple (few?) people having problems while many others have not, and then a couple of notable Chicken Little types running off at the qwerty. Further exacerbated by the fact that at least once, Carvin modified the build of the enclosure as regards midrange chamber and maybe plywood type. I don't know what bracing is in there now on the back panel now, but I know that the wood rectangular mid chamber gives added baffle and side rigidity and damping.

I'd say 3015 is a safer bet for those reasons of design drift, and the fact that the enclosure is as small as 3015LF should ever be put in - it's got borderline internal volume. And as always, I'd say run the baby stock, FIRST, for at least a few weeks to get accustomized. For a lot of people that tonally might be the best choice. But if one switches things around before even ascertaining that, they have no grounds to judge by.

I swore I wouldn't type the same stuff again for the 100th time. The threads got long because of the same old questions and conjectures repeated ad infinitum, largely.

18. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well, I would definitely be concerned enough to pop it open and look around inside if I were to buy one. The woofer in there stock is going to have something like 1/4 the max displacement of a 3015LF, so bracing is a probable issue if it makes noises or the like.

19. Thanks RPSands and Greenboy both. I follow your stuff on the fEarful threads. I'm not in a rush to "upgrade" my 1503s they sound great as is. I got them some time ago after reading through your threads. At some point in the next year or two I probably will for the extended low range. I've got 2 avatar cabs (212 & 15) with non neo eminence kappa & delta pro lfs in them and they're real sub dub sounding. I would rather upgrade the 1503s than buy another cab (from LDS).

20. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Thanks everyone. The two main reasons I was asking about the -LF are because I have one and it might get the cab to about 50 lbs since the stock speaker is said to have a 10 lb magnet.