1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin LSx1503, Keep, sell, or trade?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MooseLumps, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Keep it. You already laid out the $$. It will be useful

33.7%
  2. Trade it. You could get some neat toys for your rig.

3.4%
  3. Carrot. CAAAAAARROOOOOOOT!!

34.8%
  4. Sell it. Use the proceeds to get your next G.A.S pain alleviated

28.1%
  1. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    I need an opinion from my trusted buds here at talkbass. I bought a Carvin LSx1503 on April 7th. It was delayed in shipping so the fellas at carvin gave me a price break on another unit. I jumped on it, thinking that I would sell it later.

But now I have a quandary. I sold my avatar 2x12 and 2x10 to pay bills, and now I'm all caught up (for now). it was also so that I could downsize my rig (I haven't played out in years). So now I have a small rig that I'm proud of, but I have a hankering to open the other box that came form Carvin and utilize both speakers.

Another temptation is to keep both speakers and gt a power amp so that I could have a sweet home stereo/p.a. It's not a pressing need, but it could be fun.

Basically, I'm torn. should i trade this NEW, UNOPENED SPEAKER for more bass toys, keep it and add it to my rig, sell it, or carrots?
    a379_1.

2. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I own one too, but have'nt used it much, as on most of my gigs it would be overkill. But, the home stereo idea has been interesting to me and I've been actually thinking of getting another one and using it as part of an outside stereo system in a large screened in porch my wife and I built last year. So, that idea would appeal to me, especially since Carvin is selling them for $299 now.

3. $299 Huh?....What a good deal. I wish I could afford a pair riht now. I'd much rather have the LSx style than the old carpet cover!

4. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Hey Moose - do you like the 1503 better for bass guitar than the Avatar 2x12 - could you take a moment to compare them? Thanks.

5. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Well. I'll start off by saying that many people get the 2x12 as a sort of substitute for a 15. they want the slam of a 15, but the upper register of a 10. This three-way cab is vastly superior when it comes to articulation because of the dedicated 6er, which also alleviates the famous avatar tweeter hiss, because the tweeter in this box is crossed over higher. This cab also has the slam and rumble of a 15, so it's really a great mix. I occasionally have issues with the volume with this cab, because it's louder than the 2x12. You have to re-evaluate your eq when you use tihs cab, because you truly hear everything. I used to boost the hell out of my subbass (which may partly account for the perceived loudness of this cab over the other) but I find I don't have to anymore.

I can't say that one is better than the other, because it's all about personal taste. these are the areas that I felt impressed by the Carvin. It works well for me, because I'm throwing a lot of harmonics, using a 6 string, playing with a lot of models and effects, and all these things benefit from a three way cab

6. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Thanks for the comparison. Another thing you may consider is dropping in this speaker...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=290-598

in exchange for the Carvin 15. There are a number of threads on talkbass on the low end transformation that resulted. There is also a lot of chat about crossover/tweeter/mid driver issues with the 1503 (maybe the result of more watts than the cab wanted to deal with in the lower frequencies) with or without a speaker upgrade.

7. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Ya, I've read extensively on that, but i really like the particular voicing of the Carvin how it is. The low mids have balls when the eq is flat, and that benefits me.

I appreciate people taking the poll, but are there any other opinions?

8. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Do you not play outdoor gigs? Two LSx1503's excel in that area, or so I've heard. Or perhaps leave one at home and one in the band rehearsal space? Also, the home theater thing. I can think of tons of uses.

9. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I really like the sound of this cab, but if you don't need it for gigging, it's pretty much overkill for a home stereo set-up.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The reason I would sell the second cab is because the two mid drivers and tweeters would be too far apart according to their lowest wavelengths to be effective in doubles. And that's the whole point of having a 3 way cab IMHO...to reproduce every range effectively so there aren't bad places to stand on the stage. I'd just use the one and tilt it back. Should be fine.

11. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Jimmy, What if I stack the second on top upside down?

which was my plan all along...;)

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'm afraid you'll need a ruling from one of the speaker gurus on here for that one. I know it will be better...but I'm thinking off axis performance would be affected.

13. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Greenboy advocated stacking one upside down in the budget boutique three way thread at some point I believe

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I certainly wouldn't argue with him if he said it.

15. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Seriously... No one else? I'M INCAPABLE OF MAKING THIS DECISION ALONE!!!

HELP MEH!!

16. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    I believe even BFM goes for the upside down thing. IIRC.:cool:
    both the mid and tweet or at the top edge so it should work just fine.

17. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    I'll vouch for the upside down thing, as I've read about it in GB's threads and all the vertical alignment/comb filtering threads.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Here's my thinking...since side by side 10"s an inch apart would have the off axis response of a 21" driver, having the mid drivers a couple inches apart and diagonal would make them have the off axis response of closer to a 15" driver. Same for the tweeters. I think it would be better than having them 2 feet apart, but a 15" doesn't throw upper mids off axis very well. At least that's my logic for voting to sell the second cab. But I don't want to say for sure since it might be a little different with wavelengths for those freqs being much smaller.

19. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    I'm temped to listen to you Jimmy, Because I drool when I read about your rig.

Thinking it might go up for trades

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well it could end up being that the distances are close enough to be harmless. I really don't know. So don't do it on my say so. If there's a benefit to stacking them that way, I'd hate for you to miss out on it without trying it.

I do have a couple really sweet rigs, though...thanks for mentioning that ;)