Carvin --Major G.A.S./Withdrawl/overall lonliness...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BASSnSAX, Jan 11, 2002.

1. While my Fender Marcus Miller Signature Jazz Bass is in the shop getting fixed for grounding issues, I've been cheating on her.

I found this beauty on Carvin's site...a LB-76P with maple fretboard and black dots, and cherry sunburst....but idk I don't wanna buy it if it sounds like crap...
  2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    That one has a maple fretboard with dots? News to me. ;) Looks like ebony and block inlays. You trying to say you WANT the maple/dots?

Why would it sound like crap?
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    *rainman voice on*

not maple. D-d-definitely not maple.

*rainman voice off*

That one is ebony, like Angus said. I think there are a few Carvin owners around here who could give you a clue as to how they sound, though. I haven't ever played one, so I can't comment.
  4. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    hey man- ive got an LB75P and i love it. however, i can agree that its not for everyone. i think most guys on this site prefer a growly tone, and the carvin defenitly doesnt have that. it tends to "sing" more. mines fretless, and i havent ever played a fretless with lower action. defenitly a strong point. the playability is unbeliavable. (mostly due to a very fast and low neck, and the pisition of th pickups along with the body shape) most people feel the electronics and pickups are lacking (they dont growl AFAIK) i love the J99 in the neck position, its a very full sounding pickup, i like the tone a lot better than a fender J pickup, or the J on my soundgear SR800A. the HB pickup in the back does have a ton of mids. most people hate that pickup. i dont blame them, but i find it easy to live with, and pretty functional. works as a great thumbrest too. when blending the HB in i usually cut the mids on the onboard eq to remedy this. its easy, since its an 18v circuit.... so theres a lot of room to cut/boost. the piezo bridge is defenitly a cool feature. its not the best piezo system in the world... and like any piezo if you play too hard on it.. i mean way hard it will distort a bit. that can be your growl if you want to blend that in... but i dont play so hard as to distort it while playing. (ive only gotten it to distort when i tried extremely hard to... so its really not a big deal). theres also an active/passive push pull switch. a great sound (IMO) is passive mode with the pickups blended even and the volume wide open... i dont know how to describe it... but i like it. theres also a switch for the HB pickup, which can be be switched to a single coil pickup. by doing this you lose some of the punchiness, and a lot of the overwhelming mids, but its not exactly like the J99. close though. the bass only has a very slight... and i mean very slight buzz/hum/feedback/whatever you call it if the J99 is wide open, or the HB is switched to single coil mode, and youre standing right in front of the amp. other than that... its dead quiet. overall id say the electronics are way underrated, but defenitly diffierent. the hardware is first rate IMO. the bridge is carvin/hipshot, and its defenitly a solid piece of work. not the wimpy "barrel" style. tuners are carvin i believe, but i really like em. never had a problem. ive played this bass for a year now, and its never goen out of tune if i havent loosened it to travel with. you should try to play one first. theyre not like the standard carvin electronics. the 18v circuit has more headroom and more punch available. overall id say the strongest point of the bass is the playability and the construction. like i said, i have never played a fretless with a lower action, and the construction is impeccable. i almost forgot but the B is very tight as well. ive got it strung with flatwounds and its one of the tightest ive felt. very piano-like action. id think their XB series would only be an improvement.... but who knows?

i realize this was a bit of a rant here, but i hope i helped one way or another.

btw my bass has a 5 piace maple/walnut neck, and walnut body finished in tung oil. it gives it a very scooped tone, very crisp on the high end, yet it has a sudden subharmonic spike of lows. that might be why it doesnt growl much, but i prefer it that way. i dont work for carvin, im just a very happy customer :)
  5. Hey SRSiegel, does the piezo work in passive mode?

6. Yeah, I got that, that was just for the color scheme. I know full well that that was ebony with rectangular inlays, but I prefer the sound of a maple neck. And if it doesn't have growl...hmm I think I'll pass...
  7. Does anyone have a fretted LB70's P-upgraded series? I wonder if that would give it more growl...
  8. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    no the piezos do not work in passive mode, though im guessing it wouldnt sound very good if it was wired that way. (play an upright bass with piezos and no preamp.... and it sounds horrible). you can set the eq completely flat though, and then the sound doesnt change noticeably from passive to active mode, only the clarity. the eq doesnt really have a color of its own, you have to dial it to the sound you want. its a very transparent sounding bass. the fretless, combined with the piezos and the flatwound strings enable to to sound very simalar to an AUB, aside from the acoustic delay (due to the hollow body in an AUB) which is partially why i bought it.

im not sure if roundwound strings would give it more growl.
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I predict you'll want to replace that MM-style humbucker, unless you're not familiar with good pickups.

I had the same pickup configuration as that on an LB75 and all I could use it for was adding mids to the single coil J-style pup.

Mine didn't have the piezo though. There's been a lot of bitching about them at the Carvin board as being to "clacky". Many owners with the piezo say they don't use it.
  10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've always thought Ebony had more "growl" than maple. Just IME.
  11. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    IME any piezo system on a fretted bass will have some inherant "clakiness" to it. Its caused by the string hitting the harsh metal fret, and then the piezo system picks up the resultant vibrations. (AFAIK) arent piezos on a fretted bass kinda a goody idea? yeah the HB is defenitly heavy on the mids. if i suddenly find myself in a better financial position, i will switch it out, probably with a SD to add some growl to the bass. (then i can dump my fretted for everything but slap!)

i dont know anything about the growl of ebony vs. that of maple, but i know my ATK (flame maple fretboard) and it has 100 times the growl of the carvin. probably just the lack of growl in the carvins electronics though. not sure.