1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin MB10 distorting

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kreider204, Feb 28, 2013.

1. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Short version, if you don’t like to read a lot: I bought a Carvin MB10, used it without problem for weekly rehearsals and occasional gigs for about 6 months. One day, I flipped the mute switch to change basses, flipped it again, and the amp popped. Thereafter, there was a distortion, especially on the low notes, at all volumes, and even through headphones with the amp speakers turned all the way down. This distortion occurs no matter what bass I use with the amp.

More details, if you care: I sent it to Carvin. They kept it for two months, sent it back, never specified the problem, but simply said “replaced the amp module, tested all functions.” I assume this means they replaced the whole pre-amp/amp section, leaving the original speakers and cabinet? (The control section even has a new serial number on it, which makes me think that’s exactly what they did). However, it is still doing it. I even bought another MB10 and have A/Bd them – the new one works fine, the older one distorts.

Before I thought to try it through the headphones (I’m slow sometimes … ), I even bought a new 10” speaker and replaced it – still distorts. That, and the fact that it happens through the headphones (which I should have tried first – ah well, I have a backup speaker if I ever blow one … ) indicates to me that it isn’t the main speaker.

I’m going to take it somewhere local when I get a chance, but in the meantime, I’d be curious if anyone has any ideas. Thanks in advance.

2. Randy S

Randy S

Jul 7, 2008
    Western WA
    That IS strange. I'd be for trying different basses and cords, for a start. I wonder if the whole amp section was replaced. If not, maybe you still have the same jack, switch, etc.

You might try getting on the phone with Carvin and talking it through with them since it's still under warranty.

3. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Yep, I've tried different basses (3 of them), instrument cables (probably 3 or 4), even swapped power cords. I tried all the same stuff on the newer amp, no problems there.

It might well be something like the jack or switch, I'll be sure to suggest those when I get around to taking it somewhere.

Honestly, I'm not happy with Carvin. I spoke with them on the phone a couple of times while they had it, and without belaboring the point, I'll simply say I was extremely dissatisfied. Plus, it cost me $60 to ship it there once, and I'd rather just fork out the cash to pay someone local at this point, warranty be damned. (Plus I'm sure I voided the warranty when I tried swapping the speaker.)

4. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Were it not for the serial number difference, I'd say your amp got a "wall job." Unfortunately we can not peer into Carvin's internal processes, so we have no way of knowing what really happened or what didn't happen that should have happened. I wonder if there's a slight possibility, though, that there's some manufacturing step that's not being done (or being done incorrectly) that's making those amps especially sensitive to the bumps and knocks that normal shipping imposes. Something as simple as the heavier plate components not being siliconed properly for physical support. Or maybe the shipping route from CA to where you are in WI involves some horrendous temperature change rates that the amp was never designed to handle. Those FedEx and UPS transport plan bellies can get mighty cold mighty quick on a fast ascent.

You did let the amp come up to room temp before you plugged it in, yes? And you don't expose it to wide+fast temperature variations, right?

Obviously I'm just guessing, so it's all academic.

5. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    The shipping box was inside for a couple of hours before I even opened it, so I don't think that had anything to do with it.

Ya, not much any of us can do is speculate, but the effort is appreciated. Hopefully the local amp tech will be able to figure it out once I get a chance to get it to him in a couple of weeks.