1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin MB10 Micro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DZIB, Mar 27, 2013.

1. DZIB

DZIB

Jun 20, 2006
    Hi Guys/Gals -
    Has anyone bought the Carvin MB10 Micro Combo? I'm looking for something light and tone-heavy. I've had Carvin heads before and loved them. I just was wondering what anyone's experience with this particular amp was. I'm especially interested with how it performed at gigs. Camparisons with Genz, MarkBass and other micros would be great!

Thanks!!!

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/MB10

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    They do look awful nice and at a great price.

3. k31bassman

k31bassman

Feb 4, 2010
    Nebraska
    I've had one for about 2 years. For me, it's a great practice amp and can be used for small/medium gigs. It's quite mid-heavy if you only use it alone; the cabinet is sealed. With an extension speaker, the lows can really come alive. I've used mine with a TL 606 loaded with an Eminence 3015 and really like the sound. I don't know how mixing driver sizes like that impacts the sound out front because when I've done that at gigs, it's really just my stage rig. I go through a DI to the front of house. The on-board compressor is useful to me as well. I think it's quite a bargain at that price.

4. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I was up at the factory yesterday buying a head case, and I tried out almost every combo in there. The MB15 was my personal favorite...

5. I never tried the MB10, but that with the 15" ext. cab would probably sound killer. I have the MB15 and 15" ext. and love it. Dont think you could go wrong with any of their combos.

6. SwitchGear

SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    There is a MB10 for sale now in the classifieds.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I'm glad to hear this. I have the MB 10 and the 115 extension and will play it at an outdoor party tomorrow.

8. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I sure like my MB210. Its very light portable and packs a good punch!

P1040880_zps3d090e42.

9. Eatapeach1965

Eatapeach1965

Nov 29, 2013
    Does the 15" speaker sound boxy in such a small cab?

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I have an MB12 and it is a great little combo. However, I find that the small box size means that the cab really lacks any meaningful depth. It really benefits from an extension cab. The BX series amps are excellent, so I find that paired with a great extension cab, the amp absolutely sings.

11. RnBass

RnBass

Jan 3, 2010
    I briefly owned a MB10 in an effort to slim down my rehearsal rig.
    Without an additional extension cab the band and I found it too thin and boxy sounding.
    The MB12, 210 and 15 sounded better, but not enough to justify the higher price or the larger size.
    I found that the GK mb200 micro head coupled with a modern light weight cab sounds much better and my band agrees...

12. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I'm glad you like your GK but the fact is you spent more on the head alone than the MB10 combo costs. Not sure what your modern cab cost either but I'm sure it wasn't free. Adding a 12" extension would have cost less and you would have 250w of power driving your speakers instead of 200w, assuming your cab is 4 ohms which it probably isn't.
    Another thing, for an extra 49 bucks you could have bought a 500w Carvin BX500 head that blows the GK out of the water in every way. 2.5 times the power and a far more extensive eq section. For less money you could have bought the BX250 head, which also has more power than the MB200.

13. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise. Gold Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    The MB10 is a very cool little combo. It has a very EQ section. It's a very feature rich little combo for the price. I had two of them, but sold one after I got a Markbass CMD-112p combo. My son still has his MB10 that he uses with his electronic drums. Highly recommended.

14. RnBass

RnBass

Jan 3, 2010
    I was able to pickup the MB200 delivered for $177.
    Combined with my 151 RJ which I picked up for $400, I have a combo that is light and loud. I have several 4 ohm cabs as well.
    I have several more powerful rigs, but for rehearsal this setup kills.
    Sometimes I don't even bring a cab and just use it with our vocalist's old carvin pb100 combo cab.
    I wanted to love the mb10, but quality and sound issues overruled the small size and low price.