1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin Micro bass combo build quality

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowendblues, Nov 19, 2010.

1. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I'm finding myself really wanting to try one of Carvins new Micro bass combo's, MB10, MB12 or MB15.

I've read some horror story's on the build / electronic quality of their other amps, (although I've had a few of their amps and had no problems.), can anyone rate the build quality / reliability on these new combo's?

2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I just got my MB10 a few weeks ago so it’s early to tell about reliability but it’s solid, gets loud and seems to be very well put together. Super tone and tons of features too. I should add that my Carvin PB100-115 combo was a workhorse for years and had no problems.

I’m trying to get a jam going with friends to really put the MB10 to the test soon. I want to try it standalone with drummer + guitar, then try it with an extension for the 250w mini-rig.

My extension will be a Dr. Bass 112LF. Just an FYI, GK has an MB12 that looks good also but I don’t think you can add an extension to it. 200w.

3. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    We have similar tastes. I have a GK 112-II that I'd be using for a extension cab.

I'm thinking about the MB15 though.;)

I've had an older PB500 stack with 410 and 118 cabs, a PB100-15, a PB200-15, 2 RL1000's, a RL210 cab and currently own 3 Carvin basses. I can honestly say I've never had a bit of trouble with any of them.

4. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Build quality 9.5. I'd have given it a 10 except I found one loose staple in the damping material a few days ago. (I use this amp for testing so it's apart more than together, and that's how I came across it.)

Reliability is a solid 10 so far. I once ran it loud, outdoors, into a four-ohm load on a hot summer day w/ no problems and no significant heat.

Might want to take a look at this thread where I go into a lot more detail in several posts (spanning several pages... sorry :rolleyes: ).