Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin Microphones

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by DougP, Jan 16, 2005.

1. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    anyone have any experience with Carvins microphones? i did a search and didnt find any reviews. i am looking particularly at their CTM100 model. tube condenser mic for $300. it will be used primarily for recording a second track of electric guitars, backing up a track recorded by an SM-57.

and generically speaking, this mic has a spec of 20Hz -20Khz. which should allow me to record a 12" bass cab comfortably right? i dont record at loud levels, so i know i wont come close to hitting the max SPL on the mic.

Any info at all would be helpful. i am going to pop over to the Carvin forums now to snoop around. hee hee.

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
  3. I'm reviving an old thread to ask the same question... bump

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Carvin imports their microphones from some generic mic manufacturer.
    Look around and you'll see the same mic under different brand names.
    Carvin gives you a couple of weeks to try things out, I'm not sure if this include microphones. Buy one and try it, let us know.

I bought a Carvin dynamic mic, and and ear a/b comparison - it works as good as the Mic it looks like. No real scientific testing though. I wouldn't buy a tube mic, FETs are just as clear and never wear out. Tube condenser falls under gimmick.

5. I'm thinking about buying both, the FET and tube and just returning the one I dont like... When I do, I'll post a review

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I have a few that came with a P/A we bought a few years back. They work fine. A little quiet unless you step right up to them, but ok for free. That's all I can contribute.

7. What model are you talking about, the CTM100?

8. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I have the 5 piece Carvin drum mic set and they seem to be rebranded Nady microphones.