1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin Mixer on eBay--and a Question about modern Powered Mixers

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by alaskaleftybass, May 23, 2018.

1. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I'm trying to buy a small powered stereo mixer for rehearsals on eBay. It's economical and the perfect size for a practice mixer. However, the listing says "Can't ship to Alaska or Hawaii." I know this isn't true because I've bought Carvin gear over the years. Anyone know how to get a hold of them? Thanks in advance.

With the advent of small powerful Class D (which is what the Carvin powered mixer is) why aren't more of the major music manufacturers coming out with compact, powerful powered mixers? Also, I'm not interested in "get modular powered speakers" I already have 4 p.a. cabinets that are passive and would like to use them.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Is Carvin selling this?

I thought they went out of business?

eBay should have contact info for the seller.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  3. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Hey @Stumbo . Yep the store is called Carvincorporation. I should have sent them a message via eBay messaging before posting but I still have that big question about why there aren't more small powerful Class D stereo mixers. I'm not asking you for an answer per se, just sayin' it again I guess.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    From what I could find, Carvin is now Carvin Audio.

Seems who ever that is on eBay selling as carvincorporation needs some scrutiny.

5. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, the Carvin corporation (also known as Carvin Audio) that made mixers, amps, and PA speakers is out of business. The Ebay seller may be someone who purchased some remaining Carvin gear while Carvin had their liquidation sale--perhaps even some ex-employees. Even if the mixer is advertised as new, it won't have a warranty and repair parts will be unavailable. I would only consider buying it at a very discounted price.

There is a new Carvin Audio, or at least a web page for such a company, but I'm not sure it really exists. It may be just one or two former employees who bought the Carvin name. They don't make mixers. Not sure if they are in anyway related to the Ebay seller "carvin corporation".

Regarding other manufacturers, there are a few who have light weight powered mixers. It's not that uncommon. But I think the trend is to have unpowered mixers and powered speakers for small PA rigs. The powered speakers come with the lightweight class d amps.

6. Both Yamaha and Yorkville make powered mixers.

7. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Thanks @dreamadream99 . However, the Carvin is 2 x 500 watts, stereo, and dual 10 band EQ's. I could power mains and monitors. Two Class D amps inside. The Yorkville and Yamahas are fine mixers but much larger and heavier. It seems the powered mixers haven't caught up with the rest of the industry-- or the pro audio industry is leaving the powered mixers behind-- in exchange for powered Class D active powered cabinets. My problem is I have 4 nice pro audio passive speakers.

8. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Sell your old boat anchor passive speakers and get a small (perhaps digital) console with active speakers.

SoCal80s and musicman7722 like this.
  9. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I live in a fishing village where nothing musical sells. I have to air-mail out everything I sell and using UPS or FedEx would cost almost as much as I'd sell them for. I did have a pair of active speakers and a passive mixer and stupidly sold them to a church. Now the church has a nice digital p.a. with two mains and two monitors, all powered.

Did I mention I live on an island with a population of 8,000? Thus the need ot make what I currently own work.

10. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Well I did some research today on powered mixers and found the best deals I'll find will be either from Sweetwater or Amazon. Both offer free shipping to Alaska but Sweetwater throws in a two year warranty for free. I'm beginning to feel like Sweetwater offers the best deals for Alaskans. I bought a large 70 pound speaker from them one time and it had a faulty speaker. It was not cost effective for them to have it shipped back so they gave me 50% refund and I found a replacement speaker. Ended up donating the cab to a church though. But good people at Sweetwater.

11. Mackie makes a nice powered mixer ....worth checking out.

12. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    Active speakers are taking over, which is why there's fewer powered mixers these days.

Yamaha's current offerings are about the best available.

13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i bought some subwoofers from that sight (all carvin stuff AFAIK) and i'm thinking the outfit is a 'special one-off' to empty carvin's warehouse(s) and inventory (either a carvin spinoff or hired by carvin). i'm just guessing. the raw speakers i purchased were in unopened carvin boxes/packaging.

14. BJMtz

BJMtz

Oct 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    A couple of years ago I was in the market for a new mixer and I was leaning towards a powered one since like you, I already had passive speakers and didn't want to buy new active ones.

I looked at Carvin and a also looked heavily into the Behringer PMP line. The PMP500 is $350 new, has 8 XLRs, but is weak on power. The PMP400 might be more what you're looking for, since it has more monitor sends and more power. That would be my suggestion

On Amazon and eBay there are a bunch of cheap no name powered mixers. I thought about rolling the dice on one of those but I never did. Have you seen any of those? I'm sure the specs are exaggerated but they are pretty inexpensive.

BTW, I ended up going power amp and digital mixer. I'm pretty happy with it.

15. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    About 8 years ago I talked to a sales rep at Carvin and they did acknowledge that they do eBay sales, and I looked at the credentials on their eBay home page. The carvincorporation has been around since 2001 with thousands of sales. The stuff does ship from their warehouse. Thanks for your input, it what I also believed.

I'm in the GOF club and past the days of building modular PA systems for any shows larger than 100 people. I just need a simple mid powered mixer for my four speakers. I did look at the no names but like you I was wary of trying them out, you never know without a name brand. I'm probably going to get a Behringer MP560,which is a six channel with 250 watts x 2. It has two EQ's and dual FX. Enough for the smaller rooms and rehearsals I'm looking at. If I were 15 years younger I probably would go modular, but nowadays I'm the only one who loads in and out of my car-- every man for himself. So there ya go. But thank you for chiming in guys! :thumbsup:

16. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

I'm sure Carvin instruments are good but I bought a Carvin board 20 years ago and it sounds like crap in a live setting.
    My friends cheap little Behringer sounded better. Now, I only use it at home as a headphones mixer. I have A/B'd with the rest of the heard thru head phones and all of my (Yamaha) boards sound better. Since the Carvin is small and always set up for practice I continue use it as such.

17. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    My $0.02 ..
    as a sound guy.. I absolutely I HATE powered mixers.. regardless of vendor. Yes, I have had to use quite a few from Carvin and others over the years.
    IMHO - they are useful for acoustic coffee shop outings, and bands with minimal budget.
    They are usually VERY inflexible and one usually finds you need more "features" once you start to use them in a band situation.
    They DO serve a purpose tho.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021