1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin mystery

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassgod76, Mar 10, 2008.

1. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I ordered some guitar parts from Carvin, because they have some of the best prices on misc. guitar hardware. Enclosed with my parts is a Carvin catalog. I've seen their catalogs before, and something always leaves me wondering...

How is it that Carvin can sell a full 8X10 speaker enclosure with amp for only a little over $1,000?

My Eden cab, alone cost around $800. Can anyone tell me how Carvin can do this, and where corners are cut?

2. Yes. No middleman. Been that way since "Day One" when the family opened the business. Thats why if you want a Carvin product there are only a few ways to get them: 1. buy direct (online/phone/catalog sales) 2. buy from one of their very few Calf showrooms 3. buy used from someone else

3. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Order a custom bass if you want a very pleasant surprise.

4. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    I'm not clear if they manufacture their own drivers or not, could be a factor. The neo's are eminence though. Might be OEM eminence for the regular drivers too. I can be wrong though.

5. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I've looked at their basses a lot, but their headstocks turn me off. I don't know what it is, but it's such a problem, that I can't bring myself to order one. Is this just me?

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    no im with you, i really hate the look of their basses.

7. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    As already stated there's no middleman getting between you and your gear.

8. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I'm with you guys too...I can tolerate the headstock more than the bodies though...I just really love the offest look of a nice Jazz-style bass...Carvin's horns are a big turn off for me.
    Yep...when you buy something for $800 at GC it probably cost the manufacturer around $200-$300 to build it...and they probably sold it to GC for around $500...then GC marks it up to make sure they get a fair shake...

9. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    ^ You also pay shipping to a distributor then to the store. If you're going mail order you're paying for shipping to you. That's 3 times you're paying for shipping.

10. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    The truth starts to come out.

To give you an idea, a case of Sam Adams costs about $35ish at the store. The distributor charges about $15ish for that same case. The brewery charges $7 for the case and costs $3 to make ($2.40 for just the glass bottles).

If I could get $35 for what costs me $3 I would be very happy!

Carvin is still making money, but they are saving you a TON of money. Great gear and great service. I love them!

....now if I could just get BC Rich to pull their heads out of their asses....

11. +1001

I have three of their six string basses and a five I put together from their parts. All wonderful instruments!

Paul

12. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I've been very pleased with my B1500 bass head. Great performance and bulletproof construction at a bargain basement price.

That said, I've stopped at their showroom several times, and have never played a Carvin bass that was able to give me my sound, despite auditioning their basses through a B1500 and one of my cabinets (I've taken a Dr. Bass 2460, and an EA VL208).

I'm not saying they're bad basses: Those who like the sound of Carvin basses sing their praises. My impression is that thumb-style players, and others who favor smiley-face equalization, may like the sound of a Carvin bass far more than I do.

13. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Let's please keep this Amps related.

14. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    2325315895_dd0963cc42.

My Carvin has the rounded horns, I like mine better than the stock body type. I love the way carvins look, and although I'd love to have another, my next bass will probably something with a little meatier tone a la humbuckers + single coil setup.

15. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    It's not amp related, it's Carvin related. Sorry for going off-topic.

16. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Kelly,
    I started this mess. I apologize.

I don't want to sound like a stupid consumer, it's just suspect if I pay a lot less for music gear and get a ton more. I'm sure distribution plays a huge role in it. I guess I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Has anyone here played through their amps and cabs? Now, I'm asking those who have had several amps.

17. I bought a pair of their plastic 15" PA cabinets for my PA. I tried them out with a bass and was quite pleasantly surprised just how good they sounded. I would never use them in real life ( once you try Acme y' never go back!) but with my PA they are wonderful.

Paul

18. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The highest percentage in the cost of most gear is marketing and distribution. Carvin minimizes those costs.

19. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Amos, it's cool. Just please read all posts before posting. I directed everyone to keep this Amps related the post above yours.

Not a problem. I know topics get more traffic here in Amps than they do in Misc which is where this thread probably should be. As long as we keep it about amps or how they sell them so cheap I consider it good to go here in Amps.

20. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Has anyone actually heard that 1200 watt/8x10 thing in action. It's gotta be loud, no?