Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin neck = butter?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WoodyG3, Jun 25, 2004.

1. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I've read all the posts I could find on Carvins. I've only ever had the chance to play 2 of them, both 5-strings, and the playability was great. The necks were really nice. I have a guitar playing friend who says that the Carvin guitars are well known for having great necks and playability. I know many of you dislike the electronics on the Carvins, but how about some opinions on the necks/playability? (There's this little demon inside me that keeps whispering how cool it would be to order a custom bass.)

2. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    They do. They play like GLASS. I've enjoyed my 6 for many years. I don't mind the bashing, everyone holds their own opinions. Electronics wise, they're definitely not junk, but don't expect it sound like Marcus either.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I had a LB75P for a whille before i sent it back to the factory and the low B didint seem to have enough room on the neck. Several time whille playing it pushed off the neck whille playing.

4. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Carvin necks are well made. They do tend to have a fairly flat top and are thin front to back. Some don't like this style neck and some love them. I've got a 5 and a 6 from Carvin and I've never experienced problems with the strings being too close to the edge on a Carvin. I do think a wider p.u. would be good as the B and C can be a bit weaker than the other strings- but that's a p.u. issue rather than a neck issue.

5. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    love the way my LB76 plays. and i have small hands so the string spacing is perfect for me.

6. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    What kind of bridge was on it? Mine has the Trev Wilkinson bridge on it with the left/right adjustable saddles. Kinda cool, you can move them wherever you're comfortable. I don't know what they've been putting on lately though.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

It was a piezo bridge and from what i remember you couldent adjust the string spacing, it was very tight string spacing anyway.

8. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Carvins are very underated. I regret selling mine and the only reason I did was cause it was fretless. I had a lb76 and it was the best playing 6 i ever played or owned. I played a few other carvins and they have a very natural feeling necks.

9. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    My Carvin six-string plays like a dream. When I first got it 10 years ago, the slightly narrower string spacing took a little to get used to, but it's a non-issue now.

10. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois

Yeah, I know what you mean. I hate to get rid of mine but it's got to go. I just bought a new Spector and my daughter's school tuition is coming up. :( Bye Bye buddy.

11. My Carvin has a 5-layer laminate neck: koa w/maple stripes. It's very stable, even in drastic climate changes. I only have to adjust it twice a year. It also plays great and due to its oiled finish is fast and is never tacky.

Electronically, it's been quite good. I have one scratchy pot that I suppose I'll change out sometime... but it's not really a problem. Being a fretless only player, I'm looking for a different tone than lots of others and it really delivers. It's got a certain sound (mwah/growl/???) that I really like. The closest sound I can compare it to is the bass from the tune Black Velvet.

Lastly, and FWIW, I luv my Carvin... you'll probably luv yours too. But keep in mind, it's not really a custom, it's mass produced with lots of options... and, if there's a chance you'll be selling it sometime in the future, pick a different brand. Carvin's weakest link is their resale.

Good luck.

12. I love the way Carvins feel. But I can't quite get the tone I crave out of them.

13. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've found that too. Any idea is to why that is? I was asking $500 for mine, paid $1200, and still haven't sold it to any serious inquiries yet. It's got to be the best 6 string bass out there for that kind of money. Really $500! I've bought absolute junk for $500!

14. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    The most obvious reason why Carvin's have a resale value that is perceived to be low is because people would rather buy a new one with their own custom options if it is only going to cost a little more than a used one. For me, I would rather spend $1,000 for a bass with options I want than $700 for a used bass with options you wanted. If you will sell it to me for $500, then we could have a deal.

Although people like to point out that Carvin is not a true "custom shop", they do offer more options than a lot of other more expensive makers, and the quality of their wood often surpasses that of much more expensive guitars. Try getting a solid koa body or a 4A quilted top from another company and see how much they charge you.

Getting back to the original question, the Carvin neck is very comfortable for me, and that is why I stick with them and support them. The bass just feels right to me. It is very comfortable and it feels like a real solid bass, which I just don't get when I pick up a lot of these Jazz Bass copies.

15. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Yeah, I know it's not truly custom. But how far and wide would I have to search to find a purple bass with maple fretboard, or whatever strange combination of colors and woods I might decide on? :p

Really, though, playability is the key issue for me. If I don't like the electronics, that's fixable. I'm picky about nice action and a good neck, so I thought Carvin might be a great under $1000 option. Any more opinions? Has anyone had experience with the bolt on necks, I've only played neck throughs.

Thanks for all the info, guys.

16. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    That actually is the reason I bought new over used. Carvin necks are very comfortable too. If you've $500, I've got a 6-string callin' your name. Oh wait, that's my wife callin' your name, oh wait, that's not your name, she's calling me a .........forget it. Pm if you're seriously interested. Gotta move lots o' gear.

17. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    My Jazz bass teacher in college used to have a bolt on. He loved it. That was his main beast. I never played though so no personal experience with it, sorry. If you can afford it, stick with neck through.

18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FWIW - I really liked the neck on my LB 75............one of the best I ever owned.

But if I had to do it all over again, I would have orderd the oiled neck

19. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Lookin' for a regular old 4-string, but thanks for all the info.

20. Carvin basses play like butter, excellent necks. I had several 6 stringers. IMO the electronics could be better.